Mongolian Ovoo Ceremony


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia » Ulaanbaatar
August 1st 2008
Published: August 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ovoo?

"Ovoo" - what does that mean? This is the first question i asked my colleague. She was surprised that i doesn’t know. I told her all i know about Mongolia is about the cold winter, Chinggis Khan and some basic facts about population and economy in Mongolia. I knew nothing about the culture and the way the people live here.

How is Ovoo Performed?

Ovoo ceremony is a traditional religious ceremony where the Mongolians’ pray at the mountain facing the direction which the sun rise. It is an offerings to the gods with a piramid-shaped pile of rocks, wood and other material. Mongolians will usually walk around the Ovoo three times in clockwise direction. Rocks, clothes, a bottle or a little money will then be offered to the prayers. It is also believed that if a person does not do this ritual or behaves disrespectful, the person will fall ill or will die. Activities like hunting, digging or taking down trees at the presence of the Ovoo is also prohibited. The Ovoo worship ceremony usually consists of monks saying prayers, people making offerings and a small subsequent feast, usually with horse racing. I heard from my friends that some women are prohibited in certain Ovoo ceremonies. I have not attended any before but i just watched from the TV. It’s kind of interesting..

Has anyone seen it before probably you can share with me?

Find out more in Econature Travel Blog - http://econaturetravel.com/cultural-village-farming-tour-homestay/mongolian-ovoo-ceremony/



Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb