R&R


Advertisement
Maldives' flag
Asia » Maldives » Male Atoll
July 12th 2008
Published: July 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

R&R


Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Another startling wake-up call blared at 7:00AM for our 8:00AM departure to our island hotel. We slowly got ready and peered outside. Turquoise water and sandy beach outside our patio were just the beginning of unanticipated beauty everywhere around us. Leaving our cool room, we instantly felt the pressure of the 80 degree 85%!h(MISSING)umidity climate. A welcome change from the cold we had until Dubai, it was now time to feel the heat. We quickly made our way to the airport and were greeted by one of the many hotel hosts. One & Only Reethi Raw had arranged transfer via Yacht to take us to our hotel, about an hour away on the water. One & Only is one of over 85 hotels located on separate islands in the Maldives. In total, there are over 1,100 islands. Reethi Raw began as an island 200 feet across and 1 mile long. Through modern construction, it has been widened and lengthened to what one would never consider possible. It houses 130 villas: Beach houses, some with pools, and overwater villas, also some with pools. Inching closer to the island, we were drawn in to the turquoise glow of the ocean and sprawling and sparkling beaches. Three yachts grace the coastline for charter and the sun was blazing high in the sky, Coming during rainy season meant that rains can come abruptly, and leave just a fast. Situated 100 or so miles south of India in the Indian ocean, Maldives lies close to the equator. We would have never imagined such a beautiful place looking east from the Cape of Storms only two weeks before.

We were greeted by Michael, the island hotel manager, Nora, who provided a tour and checked us in, and our butler, Himaz. Leading us through a myriad of intricately intertwined dirt roads around 2 meters in width, Nora brought us to our villa - an overwater “hut” that wasn’t too shabby. Complete with high speed Internet access, television, Ipod hook-ups, and a full bathroom, we could have never anticipated what an incredible room awaited us that practically floats above the water. Stairs leading into the water directly from the villa and nap netting around the perimeter ta boot, this leg of the Honeymoon promised to be very relaxing.

We quickly settled in and took to our bikes - the main source of transportation on fantasy island. We made a pit stop at the dive shop to schedule our dives and pick up our snorkels and finds for pleasure snorkeling around our water villa. We made our way back to the villa, went snorkeling and lay in the nets surrounding the villa - unreal. We made reservations at one of three restaurants at the resort - the Lebanese restaurant and when we arrived, were amazed to see an outdoor Lebanese oasis with sand, detailed decorations, and a hookah lounge with hammocks, beds, pillows, and rugs for guests to have smoked charcoal. We had a few too many chili marguerites, hitched a ride with a porter back to our villa and turned in for the night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0766s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb