MY Nature


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
April 11th 2017
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 5.87806, 117.939

Another early alarm saw us on the river by 6.30am, joining yet another guide, this one called George!! For the 90mins we spent out on the ox bow lake we didn't see all that much. Some proboscis monkeys close to the bank for some better photos. A Grey headed eagle, the 2nd biggest eagle in Borneo, which flew away as the boat rumbled up to it and 2 purple herons. Good but not sure it was worth an alarm with a 5 at the start of it.

We were on the 9am boat to Sandakan, where we rejoined Chris and Ellen from previous lodge. They too were heading to my nature resort once in the city. The boat ride was just that, not spotting anything, just 45mins of boat going fast. On arrival at the town, we were bundled into the minivan and take to the local town market. Had I known this, I would not have warm shorts that day..... I got stared at!! James managed to find some 'genuine' new rayban sunglasses for £3 as he managed to snap the frame of his other ones in the jungle.

A 45 min transport to my nature saw us arrive at this very new hotel, off the beaten track in Sepilok. It had only opened a year ago. The staff quite timid and still very new compared to the well oiled machines of their other 2 sister hotels we had stayed at. There was a swimming pool, which was a welcome site with the 30+ degree all day, everyday.

The room was lovely and aircon made it even seem cold. There was a balcony overlooking the forest and pool and a little lounge area too. Lunch was bain-marie central again, but tasty all the same. The cups were amazing (yes I am writing abt the cups!!) and myself and Ellen were devastated that they didn't sell them! Chris and Ellen had a dif itinerary to us, so we were whisked away by ghazili to go to the sunbear sanctuary and the sepilok orangutan rescue sanctuary.

They were opposite each other and so we did the sunbears first as that was open all day, the other only open 2-3.30pm. The sunbears were out and abt lolloping in trees as it was pretty roasty toasty. There were a few clambering around in the trees, having a spot of lunch and we got some fab photos on the big camera.

We had 10 mins to kill and I think ghazili wanted a drink, so we went to a small cafe at the entrance to the park. James went to get 2 icecreams. I said I didn't mind what the were. He returned with 2 that had cost abt 80p. One a local magnum esque one and one with a coconut on the front of it, but the rest of the packet was yellow. I read what it was and chose he choc one. He had picked up a coconut and SWEETCORN ice cream!! It was truly vial!! Read the packets james... Asian life lessons!!

Then the main event. Time to see Gelison, our adopted baby and the orangutans that had been released back into the wild but could still come and get some food from a feeding platform if the needed it. No bags were allowed in as the ones that had been released saw them as food and could come and try and get in them.

We went straight to the nursery where like a zoo really they were all outside having a play and an eat. We asked which one was gelison and apparently it was his first day back outside as he had not been very well. This made us very happy as we got to see him and have a video of him to take back home. We moved to the feeding platform early to get a good spot, meeting a naughty orangutan, known to the keepers, walking the rails, trying to steal anything he could. They think he is mentally disturbed. We were ushered passed him one at a time by a ranger with a stick!!

We got a fab spot at the feeding platform and james got some lovely close up pics of the 2 as they came down to feed. One much darker and older than the other. It was lovely to see them much closer and get some good photos, but was a little like a zoo, nothing quite like seeing the wild ones previously.

We returned to the hotel and had a lovely dip in the pool. Wasn't too cold considering how warm we were! We dried off on our little balcony as it kept the sun longer than the poolside did.

Dinner was lovely and yet again we were sang to and had cake. Another unsuspecting honeymooning couple too were dragged Into it too. More cake though, so happy days.

We stayed up talking to Chris and Ellen again, who turns out lived in llani for a while! And drank some more 'my nature juice' ( fruit flavoured water!!!)

Last pack up of the trip apart from flying home that night!! Happy days


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb