Asian Flavours


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
June 12th 2006
Published: June 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone, hope all is well and you're all enjoying the heatwaves and World Cup fever.

Having left Australia, the first leg of our Asian trip began in Singapore and we were greeted by a monsoon on our very first day. Picture the scene: 2 Brits with their overweight back-packs dashing from tree to tree trying to avoid the downpour. Only once we dried off and were on our way to the citys Night Safari did we look back and manage a laugh. The hour long safari trail itself was very entertaining and it has certainly whetted our appetites for the real deal in Africa later in the trip.

The other main attractions of Singapore were the Raffles hotel, the night skyline from the river, the space age opera house and dining out in the many roadside food stalls.

After a short and sweet stay in Singapore we headed for Kuala Lumpar in Malaysia, stopping en route at the friendly and historic town of Melaka. KL, in keeping with Singapore, was very much an East meets West city with its authentic markets against the very modern and spectacular backdrops of the Petronas Towers and the KL Sky Tower. It was also a shoppers dream with many a sprawling mall but much to Anna's disappointment it was look but don't touch!!!

KL was also a chance to catch up with some friends - Mr & Mrs '5 star accomodation' West - who showed us many a Malysian delight such as the now infamous Chickenfish. Thanks guys, we look forward to repaying the favour one day.

As we moved on up through Malaysia we took a day flight out to Sabah to an Orangutang Sanctuary. For Anna, it was monkey heaven - she wanted to adopt anything orange and hairy. For Nathan, he started to miss his family...

It was then onto the paradise islands of Perhentian. 3 long, hot days were spent relaxing in hammocks on the beautiful white, sandy beach and snorkelling in the clear blue sea among the coral, the sharks and giant turtles. Needless to say, we were absolutely pertified but the instructor assured us the sharks were harmless (and vegetarian).

We reluctantly left our paradise to embark on a 23 hour train journey through the swamplands of Thailand up to Bangkok. The temperature and humidity hit us immediately so we opted
Dining out in Kuala LumpurDining out in Kuala LumpurDining out in Kuala Lumpur

The Wests introduced us to the world of Chickenfish
for a tuk-tuk straight to the air-con hotel.

So far, we have seen the Golden Palace, the Reclining Buddha (45m long) and many a beautiful temple. The highlight however has been the Kings 60th anniversary celebrations. It seems like the whole town has been taken over by the festivities with everyone donning their 'Long Live the King' yellow T-shirts. We even got caught up in the furore and chanting whilst waiting patiently for the King to drive past............2 hours later and all we got was a wave!!!

Our next port of call is Cambodia, so in the meantime take care everyone and good luck to England, Italy and Australia in the Finals.

Lots of love & kisses to you all - keep the messages coming, we love hearing from everyone.

Anna and Nathan XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX






Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



14th June 2006

Now the kids want a monkey!!!!!
How fantastic was it seeing you guys on webcam last night!!!!! It was so surreal!! Brilliant that technology allows us to see each other from where ever we may be in the world - mum couldn't quite get her head round it but was soooo excited for the rest of the night! The kids starting asking if you were coming over later in the evening....... had to explain to them that you were still miles away but they thought you were near as they had just seen you on the 'tele!!!!!'..... The photos are brilliant! Fabio and Elisa now would like a monkey as well as a Koala...... over to you guys for this one!.... Nate, I think you can be our next David Bailey (minus the hair though....) - all credits to the photo you took of Anna and the fountain! The picture of the white sandy beach looks paradise and the monkeys are adorable! Can't wait for your next update - you're living your dreams - enjoy your every moment! Missing you loads and loads and loads and loads!!!!! Lots of love always, Lor, Joe, Elisa and Fabio xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
15th June 2006

The 5* Kids
Chicken fish is the future! We've seen it!. Can't you see a resembelance between the reclining Buddha and Damian. Told you that it would only get hotter, hope that you have got used to the heat. Should come to Bangaldesh it is pouring down. How are Anas teeth. Ed has broken his wrist playing squash. Anything to get out of driving in the UK!. He is however fine now and after the sympathy I will kill him for being a goon!. Trip looks to be going well and definetly going to go to the Perhension islands ourselves next year. KL was great. See you at Christmas.

Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb