Koto Bharu>Langkawi


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
September 17th 2007
Published: September 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

After leaving the islands I met a Swiss girl on the boat back to the mainland. We were both heading upto Koto Bharu so we decided to share a taxi and ended up staying at the same hostel which was cool. I was only staying there the night so it was good to have someone to go out with. We also met some locals at our hostel and one of them took us to the local night market which is where they sell the REALLY cheap food :o) I ate like 3 meals for about a quid! Was really weird as well because they eat with their hands so I had a go (Yes I washed them!) It was the eve of independence day which is supposed to be a massive party...unfortunatly Koto Bharu is a muslim state so there are no bars or anything :o( We went to the stadium with teh guys we met because there was a band there and also a couple of fireworks. Me and this girl were the only westerners in the whole stadium which was weird but kinda cool at the same time!
The following day I caught another bus Penang which is about 8 hours away on the West Coast. I met up with Justin in China town and we spent the next couple of days boozing/shopping because there really wasn't alot to see/do on the island, unless you want some 'Action' ;o)
The next stop before arriving in Thailand was a small island called Langkawi. We caught a boat from Penang during one of their monsoons, and I can safely say it was the worst experience I've had since travelling! The swells in the sea were so high you'd reach the top and then drop to the bottom of the next! Everyone on the boat was throwing their guts up which was horrible! I wasn't sea sick but when water started hitting the window where I was sitting and started coming through I was more concerned about the boat sinking so we made a dash to the rear where there were lifejackets and an exit! It was a 2.5 hour journey through hell so when we arrived at the other end we did nothing apart from chill!
We only had a couple of days on the island so we went on a day trip which took you around a couple of the islands. We done a walk through one to this really nice lake and also went to watch the Eagle feeding which was really impressive watching them swoop down and pickup food from the sea.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb