Last few days.... booo


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
August 21st 2010
Published: July 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 3.12433, 101.684

Arriving into Kuala Lumpur, the tiredness was really beginning to hit home. However, true to intrepid explorer self, I refused to get a taxi for the one - two hour drive into the city from the low cost terminal. So, we took the rather more meandering bus, train, monorail, walk option instead. It was all planned, and seemed as though it would take around 1 and a half hours to do the jounrey.

We were searching for the monorail station at KL Sentral, and asked for directions, which we duly followed. After walking for 10 minutes, I was ready to give up, but we battled on. Seeing the sign for the monorail station a mere 25 metres away, we stumbled towards it... only to find that this station was not called KL Sentral. KL Sentral was (unsurprisingly) about a 10 minute walk away in the direction we had come from. We had walked straight past it. At this point, I though Stacey was going to kill me!

4 hours later, blistered, bruised and bent double from our increasingly weighty back-packs, we finally arrived at our home for the next 2 nights. I had felt a serious case of Deja Vu as we trawled the streets looking for our hostel, and as we were shown to our room, I realised why. This was the same hostel I had stayed in 8 years before under another name. It was still a good place to stay and really central, so after dumping our bags, we hit the streets of Kuala Lumpur, heading towards the Petronas Towers.

Stacey's reaction was worth the walk to see the gargantuan metal and glass-fronted obelisks that dominate that skyline of the capital. Photographs were obviously a priority, until Stacey discovered that the towers held a tantalising extra: a huge shopping mall. Obviously we had to explore. And try on clothes. And enjoy the food court. And New Zealand Ice-cream. MMMMMMM. Photographs could wait, it was after all only lunch time!

Eventually we blinkingly surfaced from our retail-based stupor and headed outside to actually appreciate the twin towers in all their glory. Taking photos was top of the agenda, although getting the full height of the towers into one shot proved to be a problem! As for trying to get a photo of us infront of the towers, forget it. However, one man proved to be the answer to our problems. Here, for those of you who ever visit the towers, is a tip. A total tip that could grace the pages of any tips page in Women's Own. It may even win star tip...

First of all, you need to be at the front of the towers with the Public Bank behind you. To the left of the towers, as you look at them and then stand on a plinth with the photographer below you!

I write the end of this entry 2 years after our trip ended and just before the beginning of the new one. As such, much of the memory has been tainted by time and as such, I shall sign off this blog now. Needless to say, we had a gorgeous time in KL, meeting old friends, seeing fabulous architecture and not getting to the top of the towers again! KL, I am not finished with you yet, here's to another fabulous trip there in the future!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb