KL to home


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
May 13th 2011
Published: May 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

London?London?London?

No...Kuala Lumpur - changing of the guard at the Palace. The effect of British rule still evident.
A change of pace…
Kuala Lumpur

Our last stop before home…KL, a place I knew nothing about even though it is only seven hours from Melbourne. We arrived into KL early afternoon and going through immigration took quite a while. They were very thorough – however, I have since learnt - now that we are home – airports around the world got very nervous after Bin Laden’s death. Makes sense…
Anyway, we were picked up by a delightful driver who was very anxious to tell us about his city and pointed out many things along the way to our hotel. Our hotel the Crowne Plaza was right in the middle of the city – close to everything – and what a hotel! International in every way…. a very nice way to end our adventure. We were all a bit brain dead and jet lagged but determined to stay awake and get into the proper time zone. We had dinner in one of the hotel restaurants (it had a couple of choices) which served dishes from Thailand, Vietnam and India….3 restaurants in one.

The next morning we all felt a lot better and thought we should have a look around
SkyscrapersSkyscrapersSkyscrapers

They rival the ones in Dubai - but they are still impressive.
KL so we hopped on the traditional double decker bus. KL is a mixture that’s for sure, the architecture being very modern in some parts but still many reminders of colonial times, as well as a thriving Chinatown and Little India which were both extremely busy and colourful. We eventually stopped off at the Bird Park which KL is famous for, acres of gardens with nets very high, so that the birds can move freely. The heat knocked us around a bit and we did notice that even the locals move slowly – no wonder – we found out later it was 38 degrees with 74% humidity! Unusual even for KL….
So a swim around the pool and a ‘nap’ was required in the afternoon before going out and exploring for dinner. We ate where locals would at Grandmama’s café – Chris managed to get fish and chips (she was hanging out for a western meal) but Nobby, Brian and I all tried a local dish. Our final day we hit the shops and markets – I had been told about the shopping in KL but I didn’t believe how cheap things were….and with our dollar being so strong, it
Boys with BirdsBoys with BirdsBoys with Birds

Brian and Nobby enjoying the parrots at KL's bird park
was good shopping – but sadly our cases were full!!!! So I couldn’t go too mad – much to Brian’s relief. Nobby and Chris had a local reflexology massage of the feet and legs. Nobby enjoyed it but I saw the bruises on Chris’ legs the next day - sadly, not quite the relaxation massage she was after.

Our final morning we all felt terrific – so pleased that we had this stop off – and headed to the airport feeling rested and relaxed. We met up with Greg (from the Turkey bus tour) as he was on the same flight home and heard about his and Lee’s adventures since leaving us. It was a lovely full stop to the trip.

So on my final blog I would like to thank a couple of key people…
Sandra from Top Tours in Oakleigh – everything was wonderful from the hotels, to the transfers, to the tours. Thanks Sandra for helping us have such a great holiday – from the initial disappointment about Egypt – you have given us such a memorable trip that went smoothly from start to finish.

Thanks to Enis – our guide on the Classic
Happy TravellersHappy TravellersHappy Travellers

Dinner on the rooftop at Hera Hotel in Athens, watchiing the sunset on the Acropolis
Turkey tour – you not only shared your incredible wealth of knowledge and history – you shared yourself – giving us insight into how the people of Turkey live and enjoy their country with such pride.

Thanks to our fellow travellers particularly on the bus tour – we not only had fun, but shared some special moments which will stay with all of us.

Thanks to my wonderful husband who provided all the great photos for the blog - I think he has more to share......

And finally thanks to all my family and friends that commented on the blog or emailed me privately. It was a joy for me to write it, but all the sweeter knowing you were reading it.
Debbie
For the Willynobs.



Advertisement



13th May 2011

glad your home safe and sound, will catch up for golf & cuppa soon xx
13th May 2011

The 3 look like contented Cheshire cats! I have loved knowing wot u were all up to. It sounds as tho u all had such an enjoyable time :) I look forward to hearing from u when return and catching up. xxx
13th May 2011

glad you are home safe and well, and you have had a great time. Followed it all with interest, Daily Planet here you go! Loathe Malaysia with a passion bordering on insanity, Langkawi was okay but KL - never ever again1 But we are all different which is good. Love Anni in Queensland!
13th May 2011

Thanks Debbie for the blog. I loved knowing exactly what you were doing each day. I sure beat the one postcard I got from Chris.

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb