Back to KL again!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
March 26th 2006
Published: March 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

No pictures with this blog im afraid, cos our camera got nicked...but we shall just bore you all with words instead!

We spent a couple of days in the Cameron Highlands after the rainforest, which are the highest towns in Malaysia and much cooler than the rest of the country. So nice to spend a few days without sweating all the time!!!
We explored huge tea plantations, forests and strawberry fields and ate far too much yummy Malay chinese food 😊 Did have lovely picture of all the green tea covered hills, but hey. Went to a Tea factory, which frankly stank of tea, and as neither of us can stand tea, it was a bit much!

After the higlands, we came back down to the heat and on to the Island of Penang in the north of Malaysia. It was where the British first established their rule in Malaysia and was once an important trading port similar to Singapore. Now its just a quiet, touristy island with loveley old colonial buildings and a huge fort. It was a very chilled place to spend a few days exploring (and getting lost!)

From Penang we took the ferry to the islands of Langkawi to speend a few days on - you guessed it - the beach!!! yay 😊 There is a definate advantage in going to this part of Malaysia at low tourist season, as we virtually had the beach to ourselves, but it did mean that some of the monsoon rain had already started!!! Plus Langkawi is a duty free island, and all the bars were empty - cue much drinking!!!
Despite the weather we did manage to go on an island hopping trip around the little islands of Langkawi and enjoyed white deserted beaches all to ourselves, fed eagles from the boat and even saw a pod of wild dolphins which swam right past us and were absolutley amazing!

Sadly after 3 days on the beach it was time for us to head back to KL and end our trip round Malaysia. After 5 hours on a coach, during which we noted that an amazing 40% of peninsular Malaysia is still covered with rainforest and dense vegitation, and that most Malaysians do in fact drive Protons (the older and more beaten up the better), we arrived back in the bustling metropolis.

Once back in KL we attempted to report our stolen bag, which involved a trip to KL police HQ (entirely by accident) where they spoke no english, then a trip in a Malaysian police car complete with sirens, flashing lights and an AK47 machine gun on the front seat, once they established that we needed to be taken to the tourist police! Rozi was entirely mortified in the back, convinced that everyone would think we were criminals...and to be fair we did get some looks from people in the street. But Steven found the whole episode hilarious!!! We then emerged from the tourist police hours later, only to discover we were miles accross town and without a convenient police car to escort us back to the hotel - cue tramping about trying to find the nearest tube, which of course are not signposted anywhere in KL.

After a nights relief at the amusement of the ladyboy club we really were ready to leave Malaysia!!! And so on to Singapore, home of cheap electricals and hopefully a replacement camera, so you are not without our wonderful photos for too long 😊

Hope youre all well,
loads of love,

Rozi and Steve
xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb