Genting Highlands Malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
December 17th 2009
Published: December 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: clouds amd skyrail 3 secs
2: skyrail 8 secs
3: Getting very full on food 6 secs
4: dried fruit shop 21 secs
We had to catch a bus from KL sentral to go to Genting, It cost us 38rm (ringits) for the bus trip, sky rail and a buffet dinner at the Coffee Terrace. We didn’t know what to expect from Genting because we were told that we have to go and have a look. It is situated up in the highlands and the temperature is cool. We were looking forward to the cool weather as it would be a big change from the humid heat of KL. Within 15min of the bus trip we started to climb and the forest started to turn into jungle. Within 30min we saw monkeys on the side of the road and within 50min we were at the base of the Skyrail. The bus pulled up, let us out and once again there were no signs or someone to guide us. We ended up following the crowd as we have done on most occasions. We stopped at a dried fruit shop that had unbelievable colouring to all the fruit on display. We then up to get on the Skyrail. We hoped on and started to head up the mountain, the jungle was very thick and we to sailed over some huge trees that supported their own eco system with ferns and stag horns growing from them. We crossed the first tower and head on a 45deg angle up the mountain hillside. It was an amazing view and we could see what looked to be a maintenance track snaking its way up the track with steep steps and winding tracks. The ride seemed like 3-4km long and ¾ of the way up we started to go through clouds and lost all visual of where we were going. 100m out we caught a glimpse of a huge hotel and buildings up on the hill. We hoped off the cable car and once again had no idea where we were going “follow the crowd”.
We started our journey into the unknown passing cafe’s, restaurants and also casino’s. Apparently Genting was the only casino in south east Asia for some time and everyone from all over Asia flew the cool climate and gambled their savings away. Of course if the parents are gambling they will need somewhere to stay, so they have several massive hotels to accommodate everyone and you will also need to entertain the kids so they built a theme park, water park, video games world, and a amusement park. All of this was built inside the buildings even the roller coaster is inside and you can hear screaming going over your head every 5min or so, the only thing that was outside was the water park which is only used in the summer months as the weather is to cool most other times.
This place was huge and we had no info, no map, no idea of how big it was because it was totally clouded in when we arrived. This place was weird and we couldn’t work out why something like this was built high up on a hill and not really any way to get outside and enjoy nature or the impressive jungle. That’s one thing we have picked up about the Asians is they do not like to be outside as they would rather simulate the same thing inside a building. We started to ask around for visitor information we got directed 6 times from one side of the building to the other. We finally found a room dedicated to the history of Genting and its creator. In the room they had a massive scaled down version of Genting on the hill and we really had no idea how big this place was until we saw this model, even when the cloud cleared a little outside you could only see around 200m and that was not far enough to see the scale.
We stumbled upon a Chinese man tapping an oversized pencil on a piece of black tile. He was tapping in a portrait of a lady onto the tile. Each individual tap was a pixel in the tile and the end product was an amazingly detailed photo of the picture. Most photos of a couple will take around 8hrs to do and cost around 600 ringits or $200Aus.
We had to wait around 1hr until lunch was served so we waited in a coffee shop. We were the first ones in the buffet and the food was incredible, every food from all over Asia, Japanese, Malaysian, Indian, Thai and Chinese. I think I went back around 6 times, each time trying something different. Although most food was already on the buffet they also cooked what you wanted right in front of you. After I was totally fool I went for desert, feeling satisfied I was happy just to come all this way up the hill for the buffet.
It was only 1:00 and our turn back on the bus down was at 4:30, there’s was no way Jacinta and I were going to wait around that long to go home because we had enough. Back on the sky rail and through the clouds, we were still wondering why they didn’t open up the service track to the skyrail towers as it would of been an unbelievable walk through the jungle. With no problems getting back on the bus early we headed back to the unit.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



25th December 2009

Pick a pixel
That guy with the pixels is brilliant! You would have to be dedicated.A

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb