Kuala Lumpur Part Two


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
December 14th 2009
Published: December 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The next morning we headed to the Belcher’s apartment. It is huge! All the bedrooms have ensuites and the view is amazing. We will certainly be comfortable here for the next week. But I guess we need to lap it up while we can because it will get harder and accommodation will get dirty and uncomfortable.
We all headed to the Batu Caves together. The Batu Caves are significant to the Hindi’s of KL. The first thing that you notice is a huge gold statue of Shiva alongside two hundred and seventy two steps to enter the cave. We all began to climb the stairs to enter the caves. Once at the top we were confronted with the usual assortment of stalls; cold drinks, food, souvenirs and religious artefacts. For the adventurous, there was also a photo opportunity with a snake and a lizard.

There were many Hindi people there for spiritual journeys. Many bought their babies along to partake in ceremonies of initiation and there were opportunities to be blessed by the monks and other religious icons. Feeling spiritual I went to an elderly lady (who it seemed had never cut her hair and it was wound tight in
The Golden ShivaThe Golden ShivaThe Golden Shiva

Golden Shiva at the Batu Caves
a long pony tail) to touch her feet and in turn she offered a blessing by painting my forehead with a white powder. I think it is important to embrace the other religions of the world and find understanding. It can make you a more tolerant person.

After clambering down the many stairs (Dan tells me it is good practice for the Himalayas) we bartered a taxi fare for all of us to head back. The taxi driver included a tour of the local pewter and onyx workshops. Having been stung before like this, Dan and I just laughed and wandered the shop whilst the others did some Christmas shopping. We finally made it back to the apartment and of course went in to the shopping mall for lunch - sushi. I am beginning to think that everything revolves around food. We basically lazed around in air conditioning for the rest of the afternoon and watched a movie. By the end of the week we will roll out of here. But one thing we did accomplish was organising transport to Bangkok next week and a day trip to Genting. Stay posted for that one. We were lucky enough tonight to score a bed in the apartment so we didn’t have to find accommodation - thanks guys!!

Monday 14th December 2009

Today was a bit of a nothing. Everyone was heading back to Oz tonight so we hung around the apartment and of course ate more food. So now I sit here typing while Dan watches TV and it is very quiet. It is a bit sad really after the noise of last two days, makes me miss my family. I love you guys xxx.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The Belcher ClanThe Belcher Clan
The Belcher Clan

Guy, Katie, Joan, Gerry and Glen


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb