Malaysia and Singapore


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
June 11th 2009
Published: June 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The final week in Asia, the excitement building for OZ, the last two countries, hopefully the last week of sweating 24/7! With our Thai visa run out we set off on our final journey down to Singapore. Leaving Kho Tao we got the ferry across to the mainland and went straight to the train station. We planned to get a train staright down to Butterworth in Malayisa overnight but it was fully booked so we settled for a train to Hat Yai near the border instead. The Lonely Planet doesnt encourage travel through this area as its dangerous, religion and all that! We took no notice and arrive there at 6.30 am after a lovely night on the sleeper train. Straight to the ticket office and it turns out there was a train leaving in ten minutes for Butterworth, ideal. Down we go again. We considered satying in Penang for anight but on arrival couldnt be bothered as we didn't think it would offer too much. Instead we jumped on a coach down to Kuala Lumpur as the sleeper train was again full (tip here, book ahead of time)!

Arrived early evening and got a taxi into China Town. Found a cheap grotty guest house and settled in. Went and found a street vendor for some food in the market and soon discovered our love of satay. Turns out beef is the best! Next day we headed out into China Town and strolled round the market, the satay lady was not there for lunch so we had soem cracking pork and noodles instead. Headed to the central market to check it out, lots of gifts and stuff there. Headed to the night market in the evening and had a free curry at the guest house. Free food alwasy tastes nicer!. We got up at 7 the next day to go to the Petronus Towers to get tickets. They give 1300 tickets away for free each day to go up onto their sky bridge. Cued for an hour got the tickets and then went exploring to see where the Lions game would be shown that night. Irish Pub was the answer. This day involved riding the LRT around KL a lot. airconditioned underground trains work. Also got to ride the monorail, are list of transport keeps growing and growing. Visited teh independence square or something like that and then headed back to the Patronus towers, pretty impressive tall towers and when our time came we went up to the sky bridge. Nice views around the city. they're built in a park complex which we strolled around. Lions game and more satay that night. L:eft the next day to go down to Singapore via a coach.

Arrived in Singapore in the evening with only 3 days till we flew to OZ. We were expecting a very efficient and clean city and this summed it up quite nicely. strolled around with our bags heading towards a guest house. Some random guy gave us a free lift, turned out to be an off duty traffic cop and was bored so took us to our guest house in Little India. This place was crammed full of Indians and strolling the streets looking for food resulted in a curry! Woke up and set off exploring Singapore using their exetensive MRT rail system. Very clean, air conditioned and efficient. Visited The Quays, very nice and expensive btu really nice food courts in the shopping centres that had cheap food. Visiterd Orchard Road which is the main shopping street. Crammed full of shopping centres. Only good thing about them unless you had money to burn was the air con! That night we got the train down to China Town and found a food court where we had some lovely food. Went to Clarke Quay to watch others spend their money. We couldnt afford it.

Next day, the ZOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing, loved it, dragged Chesty along and he quietly loved it too but i doubt he'll admit it! lots of really cool animals and good lay out. Cooked up a couple of cracking Naimal XVs for rugby!

Strolled around the next day and flew out that evening for Cairns in Australia!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb