Down to Kuala Lumpur


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
January 27th 2009
Published: February 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kuala LumpurKuala LumpurKuala Lumpur

Standing by the twin towers; the largest twins in the world!
Malaysia seems obsessed with being the biggest or best in the world! Beginning in the 1990s, the city has played host to many international sporting, political and cultural events including the 1998 Commonwealth Games and the Formula One World Championship, In addition, Kuala Lumpur is home to the tallest twin buildings in the world, the Petronas Twin Towers.

The rapid development of the city lead to a huge influx of foreign workers from South East Asia to Malaysia. Large groups of Chinese were brought in to work in the booming tin mines during the Industrial Revolution, while Indians, forming 10% of the population in Kuala Lumpur, were brought in during the British colonisation of the Malaysia, however, the majority of the population are local Malay.

This eclectic mix of races and religions makes KL a vibrant city to visit. I have to admit I had a preconceived idea of a conservative city full of temples with limited bars and restaurants. The reality couldn't have been further away. The Golden Triangle, the commercial hub of the city, contains the Petronas Twin Towers and has a distinctive nightlife with trendy nightclubs, bars and lounges, such as the Hard Rock Cafe and
Spence & RaySpence & RaySpence & Ray

Dave was training for the Iron Man - his first ever Triathlon!
Beach Club which was voted the best bar in Asia. I am not sure who voted to give the Beach Club such a dubious honour but old, fat, white geezers come to mind; the place was simply a whore house! Every time I was left alone a rather scant clad woman would trot over and ask to join me at the table! Women must have out numbered men by 2 to 1 and ther was no misconception as to why they were in the bar. So much for an Islamic state!

I guess money talks. The tourism sector plays an important part in the city’s economy, with hotels, from five-star to budget types, have cropped up everywhere to accommodate the influx of tourists each year. Kuala Lumpur alone has 66 shopping malls with Suria KLCC, located under the Petronas Twin Towers being the premier mall. Bukit Bintang, which resembles Tokyo's Ginza, New York's Fifth Avenue and Singapore's Orchard Road has the highest concentration of shopping outlets in Kuala Lumpur. Kathryn was instantly attracted to the shopping malls but a gentle reminder from me that a backpackers budget did not extend to the likes of Prada and Guchi even if
Kuala Lumpur - Fish SpaKuala Lumpur - Fish SpaKuala Lumpur - Fish Spa

THe fish eat the dead skin off your feet!
it was half the price than that of London. Ray kindly directed her away from the glitzy malls to Petaling Street a market famous for its pirated products, ranging from China-made 'Rolex' watches and 'Versace' jeans to imitation Ray-bans - more inline with the backpacker budget! Therein afer she spent many hours haggling away with the vendors in the overcrowed dirty market ,eventually coming out triumphantly with a Bilabong T shirt for 50p! The things that make some people happy.


Tired after all the constant moving, we were happy to spend the next 10 days eating fantastic food and generally loafing about. Ray, having lived in KL for 3 years was tasked with planning the Malaysian part of our trip. Not getting much further than noted which 2 restaurants we would visit each day, Ray was almost brought to tears when he realised half of the establishments had closed down!
We were lucky enough to stay with friends and family for most of our trip and KL was no exception. Dave Spence and Ray knew each other when Ray lived in KL, and was kind enough to extend an invitation to stay in his house to Kathryn and
Xmas decorations in KL MallXmas decorations in KL MallXmas decorations in KL Mall

Malaysia is a Muslim country; why the decorations?
me. Thanks to Dave we found more than suitable replacements to eat at; Sri Nirvana Maju in Bangsar Baru is a South Indian Banana Leaf Restaurant of the highest quality and is definitely recommended. Not only is it fantastic, but really cheap too. Roti Canai, found in all Indian Restaurants, was eaten most mornings, and is a most enjoyable, spicy start to the day. We spent most nights in a restaurant or having a few drinks. The only real night out was spent at Sunway Lagoon, an Asian version of Sun city in South Africa. What started as a quiet night by the bar in the lagoon ended with a swimwear fashion show and a visit to a Carribean club at 3am.

As we were coming to the end of our trip we took the easy option booking a flight to Singapore, the last country we would visit.









Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 23; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb