Honeymoon


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
June 19th 2005
Published: November 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post


Married on the 17th of June 2005 at the Lebanese Golf Club, we headed to Phoenicia Intercontinental hotel for our first night together in room 1724 on the seventeenth floor. We spent two marvelous days in the Phoenicia. Our room was decorated with candles, flowers and balloons. On Saturday, we did a ride with a convertible roadster ali rented as a surprise for me and had dinner in café Mondo, the Italian restaurant.

Our Travel day was on Sunday 19 June 2005 from Rafic Hariri International Airport with Malaysian airlines, Flight number MH 157 at 15:10. We arrived to Dubai International airport after 2:50 minutes, we had half an hour technical stop in Dubai then 7 hours flight to arrive to Kuala Lumpur. We were freshly newly weds and did not feel the flight. They brought us a wedding cake on the plane. It was so touching……

We arrived to Kuala Lumpur International airport at 8 am in the morning on Monday 20 June 2005 where there was a van waiting for us to take us to Lumut Jerry port. The driver name was Othman. The road was full of nice scenery but I was very tired and slept most of the time.

When we arrived to Lumut Jerry after 4 hrs and a half, Pangkor Laut resort welcomed us in their office in the port with welcome drinks and wet towels, we waited just 15 minutes for the ferry. One hour more and we will arrive to the paradisiacal destination. The ferry seated 40 people with a television showing us the resort facilities and services.

What is Pangkor Laut? Pangkor Laut is a privately owned island located three miles off the West Coast of Malaysia in the Straits of Malacca. Although the island encompasses a total of 300 acres, only a fraction has been developed to house the Resort and its Estates while the rest is covered by lush and unspoiled two million year old rainforest.

There are 148 Malaysian-style luxury villas in the main Pangkor Laut Resort and eight magnificent Estates in a nearby secluded cove. Every villa, suite and Estate is elegantly designed and furnished, yet complements and blends in with the surrounding natural environment. As the island is only accessible to the guests of the Resort and Estates, it makes the perfect private holiday getaway.

The Resort offers many fine dining opportunities, a wide range of facilities and activities, and has been widely praised for its attentive and gracious service. Voted the second best island destination in the world by Condé Nast Traveller, Pangkor Laut Resort consistently ranks high on the itinerary of international pleasure seekers.

After arriving to the reception which is in the open air, they welcomed us again very warmly with wet towels and drinks ( a Malaysian kind of fruit punch) and told us the good news that due to our status as honeymooners they upgraded us from a garden villa to the sea villas. Standing elegantly on stilts over the sea and linked by wooden walkways, these villas are the signature feature of the island. Each private villa is airy and spacious, has a large balcony with deck chairs and a bathroom with an oversized tub that opens onto the sea.
For more info check: www.pangkorlautresort.com

So our first day in the sea villa 114 started actually at 3 o' clock in the afternoon, we slept and rested from the travel day. At 8 o' clock in the evening we went and had dinner in Uncle Lim restaurant which is a Chinese restaurant. This beautifully designed restaurant is built atop a rocky outcrop overlooking the sea. Named after its Chef, Uncle Lim, who has been with the Resort since its inception, the specialty of this restaurant is Nyonya and Hockchew Chinese style home cooking. All dishes are inspired by the unique products available locally and made to each guest's individual tastes and requirements. It was a unique experience for those who enjoy the exotic flavors of the east. After coming again to the room we slept and woke up at night with the sound of rains and thunders. It was so nice and terrifying at the same time because we were in the middle of the sea.

Tuesday 21 June 2005 started with our first breakfast in the resort. Then after discovering the resort for a while we decided to visit the spa village. The Spa Village is a unique retreat that extols the healing cultures of the region and offers a respite from the rest of the world. Malaysia, with its diverse history of people and cultures, and a vast abundance of natural resources, provides the backdrop for our health rituals that are amongst the oldest in the world. The abundance of Malay, Chinese, Indian and Thai practices makes this the ideal setting for complete rejuvenation.

The Spa Village is a collection of low buildings and structures, featuring both indoor and open-air spaces, spread over 4 acres on a quiet bay between the sea and the rainforest. Designed to soothe and refresh the senses, the various buildings face the sea, and are interspersed with open courtyards, lotus ponds, a herb garden, and a reflexology path.

We choose to do the campur campur massage. Our treatment at the Spa Village began with the unique Bath House Ritual, representing various bathing traditions from around Asia. This started with a foot bath and an invigorating Chinese Foot Pounding, previously only enjoyed by the concubines of feudal China. From there we were escorted to the Bath Houses to enjoy the traditional Malay “circulating” bath, from when villagers bathed in streams or rivers, and a Japanese-style cleansing with a “goshi-goshi”” cloth, followed by a dip in the heated Rotenburu pool. The professional spa staff refreshed our senses with Shanghai Scrub, gently exfoliating and washing our body in our private scrub house. In Shanghai, this is traditionally offered exclusively to males. After our scrub, we enjoyed a cup of calming tea in our tranquil surroundings before we began our spa treatment.

The name Campur-Campur means a blending of varieties in Malay. Combining the best techniques of Malay and Thai massage, our special creation uses touch, tone and aromatherapy to give you a memorable experience. The scent of lemon grass and pandan leaves fills the air as steamed herbs are pressed along the body using a traditional steam pouch. We relaxed for 2 hour doing the massage with soft classical music.

Our dinner this night was in the Samudra, this restaurant is built on stilts over the sea and offers usually a unique assortment of classical Malay dishes and international cuisine but this day there was an Indian theme buffet with live music. I tasted the Indian food; it was so spicy with different and strange meals.

Wednesday 22 June 2005 we started our day by taking the island shuttle bus to Emerald Bay, considered by independent travel consultants as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Thursday 23 June 2005 we accompanied the Resort's resident naturalist on his daily trek through the rainforest but it was too hot and humid and I left him in the middle of the track and ali followed me afterwards . Then we spent the day swimming and relaxing around the pool.

Friday 24 2005 June we took the ferry to Lumut and from there a Mercedes with a very nice driver name kamaru el zaman was waiting for us to take us to Kuala Lumpur International Airport KLIA. We had a lively conversation throughout the road about Malaysian culture and politics. After we arrived to the airport in the afternoon, we took our flight to Langkawi island which is located at North West of Malaysia by flight MH 1450. The flight took over 45 minutes only.

Situated on the west coast on the main island of Langkawi, Pelangi beach resort, our hotel in this island spreads over 30 acres of palm fringed beachfront. It is located 8km away from Airport. Inspired and designed after the style of a traditional Malay village, Pelangi's architecture was conceptualized to blend in with the environment. Characteristically raised on stilts, they feature sloping roofs, exposed roof tiles, trusses and private balcony. Elegantly furnished in soft, pastel colours, each guestroom is equipped with modern amenities while the lighting creates a soft, cosy ambience. To enhance further the character of the wooden room interior, natural textured material such as sizal carpet panels and nyatoh flower motifs have been added to the wall as decorative pieces.
For more info check:http://hotels.meritus-hotels.com/meritus/pbl/index.html

Langkawi is one of Malaysia's most popular tropical island destinations. Mystical legends, majestic jungle covered hills, sun-kissed beaches, superb resorts and a relaxing easy pace. Located off the North West coast of Peninsular Malaysia, Langkawi is part of an archipelago of around 104 mostly uninhabited islands where hidden coves and deserted beaches were once the haunt of pirates. Beautifully unspoilt, Langkawi's rugged beauty and local legends offer an irresistible combination of cultural and natural attractions. It's an ideal place to discover the great outdoors. Play golf, go snorkelling, visit the marine park, charter a boat or take a cable car to the top of the mountain...

Carefully developed by the Malaysian government, considerable funds have been spent developing excellent roads, modern shopping centres, new marinas and impressive resort hotels. Langkawi's Duty Free status has also created some excellent shopping

Langkawi also hosts a number of international events including the Tour de Langkawi, an annual cycling competition starting in Langkawi and ending in Kuala Lumpur; The Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Show (LIMA) and the annual Royal Langkawi Regatta which draws boats from all over the world.

Saturday 25 June 2005 we started our first day in this charming island by exploring a bit the resort which is very big and decided to take a taxi tour to discover the island. Our taxi driver was Idriss, another friendly Malaysian. We went to Kuah, the capital of the island.

We went first to Dataran Lang (Eagle Square) which is Langkawi's most prominent landmark for visitors arriving by sea. Perched near the Kuah jetty is the magnificent statue of the reddish brown eagle majestically poised for flight. According to local folklore, Langkawi derived its name from the eagle or "helang" while "kawi" denotes reddish brown - hence, Langkawi means reddish brown eagle! Then we headed to Langkawi fair mall where we did some shopping. After that we went to the oriental village where we ride a cable car and got the feeling of awe and wonder on top of Gunung Mat Chincang mountain.

On our way to the cable car we passed by the Summer Palace situated at Pantai Kok. In 1999, 20th Century Fox commissioned the construction of this magnificent and expensive movie set for the making of the film Anna and the King

Then we went to the Underwater World, featuring a 15-metre walk-through a tempered glass tunnel, Underwater World has more than 5,000 species of fish and marine creatures. Then we had dinner in the hotel.

Sunday 26 June 2005: we decided to have a relaxed day today in the resort, we explored its facilities, it was so humid and hot, we walked on pantai cenang beach, and we collected shells and swam in the pool.
In the afternoon, we took a taxi to the Jetty point where boats and ferries come from Thailand and other Malaysian cities such as Alor Setar where there was a duty free mall. Then we had an espresso in one of kuah's café.

Monday 27 June 2005:

We did not have a plan for this day so after breakfast we realized that Laman Padi (Rice Garden) is just 2 minutes walking from hotel , the only one of its kind in Malaysia, the Laman Padi is an ideal place to learn more about one of Asia's staple foods. We visited the Rice Museum, Rice Farm, Rice Restaurant and Rice Garden where rice is cultivated right on the roof of the building.

After that we rested a bit in the reception and drinked juice then I told ali that we have some time before flight and we can go and visit Galleria perdana at Kilim. It houses an impressive collection of over 2,500 state gifts and awards presented to the Prime Minister of Malaysia, Mahathir Mohamad and his wife. The exhibits include fine crystal ware and gifts fashioned out of wood, leather, silver, copper, pewter, ceramics and glass. There are also musical instruments, Islamic art and craft, textiles and weapons. A part of the display includes various prototype cars and 4-wheel drive vehicles. The Galeria Perdana comprises of 2 double storey buildings set within a beautifully landscaped garden. We did not have much time in galleria perdana because we had a flight to catch but I was very glad that we could visit it.

We went to Langkawi aiport afterwards which is a very nice small airport and took our flight to KL, we arrived to Shangri-La hotel in Jalan Sultan Ismail at 9 o clock in the evening, it took us one hour from the airport due to traffic. Shangri-La Hotel Kuala Lumpur is one of the most elegant hotels in the city, an oasis of sophisticated luxury and discreet service. Superbly located in the heart of the city and nestling amidst lush gardens, Elegance, meticulous attention to detail and the ultimate in comfort and convenience are the hallmarks of the Shangri-La's 701 guestrooms and suites. The Shangri-La also boasts of an impressive choice of cosmopolitan cuisines from its award winning restaurants.
We went to the Golden triangle street walking from the hotel to have a glimpse on KL and to discover a part of the city then we saw Petronas tower by night and returned to the hotel where we had a lovely room delivery dinner.

Tuesday 28 June 2005, after breakfast, ali had a meeting with a Malaysian company, I spent my time in the hotel and when he came back we took a Taxi tour, to Merdeka square, This square, surrounded by impressive historical buildings, is the literal heart of downtown Kuala Lumpur as well as the figurative heart of Malaysian nationalism. From there to Sultan Abdel Samad building, distinctive landmark in KL, the Sultan Abdul Samad Building. Moorish in design, this building, completed in 1897, was formerly the seat of the British colonial government and now houses the Malaysia Supreme and High Courts. This is the most photographed building in the city, with a 40 metre clock tower affectionately dubbed Big Ben, topped with a golden dome and flanked on both sides by two domed towers. During state occasions, coloured lights twinkle in the arches, making it look like a scene from an Arabian Nights' tale. After that we passed by the national monument and lake gardens. Kuala Lumpur Lake Gardens (Taman Tasik Perdana) dates to the 1880s and is the city's most popular park. Built around an artificial lake, it encompasses 91.6 hectares of undulating greenery interspersed with flowering shrubs, shady trees, exceptional botanical gardens, and other notable features., national museum, royal palace.

After the tour ended we did a stop in Starbucks coffee down the twin towers and entered after that to Suria mall. Twin Towers were the tallest buildings in the world from April 15th, 1996 until October 17th, 2003 when Taipei 101 (Financial Center) was topped out at 508m (1676ft). The 88-storey PETRONAS Twin Towers, developed as an integral part of the Kuala Lumpur City Centre (KLCC) project, house PETRONAS' new corporate headquarters. The PETRONAS Twin Towers rise like sentinels in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia. Costing a whopping US$1.2bn and uniquely designed by Cesar Pelli & Associates, it rises to 1,483ft (451.9m) in height and is all of 33ft higher than the Sears Tower. Cesar Pelli, former dean of Yale University's School of Architecture, also designed Canary Wharf in London, and the World Financial Center in Manhattan, New York City.

Suria KLCC is Malaysia's premier shopping destination located at Kuala Lumpur prestigious commercial address, the Kuala Lumpur City Centre (KLCC). It offers an array of goods and services to please and pamper the needs of shoppers; from fashion, entertainment, arts & culture to local delicacies and international gourmets. There is always something for everyone to savour at Suria KLCC. There are 6 levels of retail outlets with each level of a distinctive character and style. Anchor tenants are Isetan, Parkson Grand, Tanjong Golden Village and Level 2 Food Court. Other key tenants include Marks & Spencer and Asian Flavours Food court.

At 5 o clock we went to the Central market where they sell awesome traditional things from there we went walking to Chinatown. It was the first Chinatown I visited in my life. The experience was amazing . It is the main market street in KL's used to be a colourful, lively and genuine place to bargain and eat in the evening up to the middle 90s. Now chinatown has turned into a tourist place, the food is poor and expensive. The only goods on sale are clothing and watch fakes. It's the place that never sleeps.
Even in daytime you have great bargains. It is not open for the traffic. It is a great place for locals to get some goods at bargain prices and certainly an eye-opening experience for tourists. To get the best atmosphere you must go at night! One can buy imitation goods of Rolex, Seiko, Cartier, Christian Dior, Adidas, Nike, Calvin Klein, Armani, Gucci, Prada, D&G, Louis Vuitton.

We had a buffet Dinner in the fabulous lemon garden café in the hotel.

Wednesday 29 June 2005: we took a taxi to Genting, one hour drive mountain area cold weather, took a half an hour cable car, wonderful views among the clouds. There is a casino up there and five hotels and a theme park but we did not like it and decided to go back to KL. Our driver was Mohammad Ferdous and suggested to us to visit Batu caves on our way back. Batu Caves are situated thirteen kilometers (seven miles) north of the capital city Kuala Lumpur. They are the sacred place for the Hindu's in Malaysia. They consist of three main caves and a number of smaller ones. The caves are made of limestone and 400 meters long and 100 meter high. They were discovered in 1892. From your hotel in the Golden Triangle you can reach the Batu Caves easily by taxi or public bus (11 and 11d). The public busses can be boarded at the Pudu Raya Bus Terminal in Kuala Lumpur. At our arrival we were greeted by lots of monkeys. We climbed 272 steps, which lead us to the religious and magnificent Batu Caves. In the afternoon, we went to Sungei wang plaza mall in the lively and cosmopolitan bukit bintang street.

Thursday June 30 2005, we went with Mohamad the driver to Putrajaya. It has become the new capital city near Kuala Lumpur. It was formerly known as Perang Besar and is located 25 km south of Kuala Lumpur. It's also 20 kilometers from Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) at Sepang in the south.
Putrayaja is the new Administrative Center of the Government and will be a test bed for an electronic Government (a paperless administration) and will be equipped with the latest telecommunication technologies. It is set to be a model garden city with sophisticated information network base on multimedia technologies. Kuala Lumpur is still the financial and commercial capital of Malaysia. About 70% of Putrajaya is still nature. Lush greenery, botanical gardens are spread across the landscape enhanced by large bodies of water and wetlands. Five confluences meet at the north forming a main waterway which flows across the city area.

At the North of the Core Area is the Government precinct located. Also the most of the Federal Government ministries, departments and agencies. The office of the Prime Minister’s complex "Perdana Putra" is situated at a vantage location, overlooking the Dataran Putra, which marks the beginning of the Putra Boulevard.

Situated next to a lake, it incorporates Islamic architecture from countries such as Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan and Morocco. The mosque consists of a 116m tall minaret and can accommodate 15,000 people. The minaret is 116 meters tall and one of the striking features of the minaret is that it was designed after the Sheikh Oman Mosque in Baghdad. Its five-tiers represent the five pillars of Islam and its five call to prayers. Within its premises is the VIP Room Gallery, the Al-Quran Manuscript Museum, a library, auditorium and exhibition hall as well as a seminar room. It also has a large courtyard called the “Sahn” dedicated to commemorate the life of the Prophet. The main entrance to the mosque is patterned after the gates of Persia. We took a tour in a boat like the gondola, a traditional wood Malaysian boat. It was nice, cool breeze accompanied our trip.

After we finished from putrajaya we rested in shangrila hotel, putrajaya branch to have a cup of coffee. Then we went to the mines resort city which is a very big resort, hotel and amusement park but we only visited the shopping mall. Imagine sailing into the heart of a busy shopping mall where you can shop and dine by water and be mesmerized by the interiors and exteriors of this unique shopping centre. This 4-storey atrium blends Malaysian, Moorish and Mediterranean architecture with modern facilities.

Friday 1 July 2005 we went to the airport early morning to take our return flight to Beirut. This time the flight was tiring a bit. But we left Malaysia dreaming of this nice and warm and exotic country. It's sweet and gentle people and the nice places we did not visit such as Malacca and Cameron highlands hoping to come back again to this wonderful country.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb