Malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
January 24th 2008
Published: February 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Petronas Twin TowersPetronas Twin TowersPetronas Twin Towers

From the bridge linking the "highest twin towers in the world". Kuala Lumpur.

Kuala Lumpur



I took the ferry from Georgetown to Butterworth. At the dock is the railway station and the bus station. It's not really a bus station, just a conglomeration of kiosks with buses alongside. I jumped on one of the constantly leaving buses to Kuala Lumpur (K.L.).

K.L. exhibits modern architecture, although each unit looks like it was selected and gathered up to suit the developers taste without regard to the city's skyline or any uniting theme. There's a definite lack of architectural harmony. There are well paved roads and a good public transport system. It has an abundance of McDonald's restaurants and so many 7-Elevens that you can often find them across the road from each other.

As far as budget accommodation goes, it is sorely lacking. For a $2 Bangkok-quality room you'll pay the price of a Thailand hotel having cable-TV, bathroom and clean sheets.

I spent a few days in K.L. Each day had a hour or so of very heavy rain.Penang seemed more comfortable so I took a bus back there to wait a few days so my visa wouldn't run out while in Thailand.

Georgetown



I went back to
Petronas TowersPetronas TowersPetronas Towers

At 375 metres (450 metres with the antennae) they were the tallest buildings in the world until 2004. Today they are the tallest twin-buildings in the world.
the Guest House in Little India. It has a large dormitory with a big balcony and clothes washing area. There's not many people so everyone can spread out. The advantage of the dorm is that there's some interesting people and their stories floating around. A German guy was almost a permanent fixture. A 70 year old Indian/Dutch guy had been floating around Thailand for years (think I saw him in Chiang Mai a few years ago). He used to be a psychologist and had a number of papers published on the internet, as well as a number of families in various countries. An Aussie who lived in Holland then bought a house in France seemed to have a photographic memory and could elaborate on any subject from electrical wiring, politics and history. Also, there were a couple of French who weren't able to get a visa to re-enter Thailand and were on their way to Indonesia.


Penang is basically a low lying city although new hi-rise apartments are springing up outside the different ethnic areas.

Mosques, Chinese temples, Hindu temples (mandiras) are scattered throughout the old town.

For a change each time I come to Penang
The Komtar TowerThe Komtar TowerThe Komtar Tower

Landmark or Eyesore? The 65 story Komtar Centre was once the commercial hub of the city. Now it is mostly abandonned. The ferry from Butterworth to Georgetown, Penang.
I spend a day or two at the beach of Batu Feringgi.
This is were all the tour group luxury hotels are situated and even though its just for the day
it seems like a little vacation.

I timed it so I would have enough time in Thailand until my flight left then I left for Hat Yai, Thailand by a minibus. This was Chinese New Year time and when I tried to book a train to continue on to Bangkok I found all the sleepers were booked. I managed to book a second class overnight seat on a train which left in a couple of days. That was worse than any bus trip. At least the overnight buses can be direct with no stops but the train stops regularly and you have to keep an eye on your baggage.

Meanwhile in Hat Yai I got a decent room in a hotel which housed a number of long term expats.
Like most people who haven't lived a 9 to 5 job they had interesting stories. Nowadays most of their time was based around drinking. They enjoyed telling about their Viet Nam tours of duty and working in Canada
AsharaAsharaAshara

A tasty lentil stew, Bubur Kacang, is given out free to celebrate the Islamic holiday of Ashara. Take as many as you want.
and South Africa when they were younger.

When I reached Bangkok in the morning, I immediately bought an overnight bus ticket to Chiang Mai and when I arrived I lucked out on an apartment for the month and then went to a health club and joined that for the month.

Addendum:
Bangkok Post March 16th: Ten railway cars have been taken out of service because of bed bug infestation. Now cockroaches have been reported but officials say cockroaches are normal.











Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Batu FeringiBatu Feringi
Batu Feringi

Nice beaches not far from Georgetown.
Free a birdFree a bird
Free a bird

"If you give me money I'll let this bird go" Reminds me of that MAD magazine cover with a gun pointed at a dog's head and the caption, "Buy this magazine or I'll shoot this dog!"
ChineseTempleChineseTemple
ChineseTemple

Penang features Chinese, Malay, Tamil areas.
moneymoney
money

Burning money for the spirits. Do you think they don't know its not real money?
Penang graveyardPenang graveyard
Penang graveyard

This is the grave of Francis Light, the founder of Penang. Also here is the grave of Thomas Leonowens (1828-59), the husband of Anna (The King and I) which resulted in her working as child governess for the King of Siam's children.
Kapitan Kling Mosque, PenangKapitan Kling Mosque, Penang
Kapitan Kling Mosque, Penang

Built in 1801, it's still one of the richest in the country
Chinese New Year OfferingChinese New Year Offering
Chinese New Year Offering

All the Chinese restaurants and stores make sure to have offerings at this auspicious time of year.
TrainTrain
Train

It cost a little more than the overnight bus but you get a bunk for the night


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb