Kuala Lumpur


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
July 5th 2007
Published: July 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The bus from Malacca to KL was much more crowded and smaller than the last bus we'd got on, and there was a film on the window that had the effect of a UV light, not great on the eyes. After 3 1/2 hours we were in KL, and it took us a further half an hour to reach the last stop on the bus, which was the side of the road, and not the bus terminal that we wanted. We were ushered out of the bus by what we later found out was a taxi driver who told us that we couldn't walk to our hostel, appropriately called 'Wheelers' as the dude who ran it was a bit of a wheeler dealer. Just as we were about to pile in his cab I spotted the bus terminal across the road and we decided to take our chances and walk it, even though the taxi man told us that although it appeared to be a small distance on the map, it was in fact a long way. As we walked down the road, he halved his price and then halved it again, but we found out that, as the map suggested, it wasn't that far at all. We were staying on the outskirts of Chinatown, in a bit of a dump, a far cry from my previous visit to KL, but we shouldn't knock it as it was cheep, like the budgie.

Whilst in KL, we tried to go up the Petronas Towers but found out that you could only book the morning of the day you wanted to go up, and the tickets had usually gone by 8:30am, and as we were only staying a few days that was out of the question.

The Asian Heritage Row was a slightly more upmarket street that we ate at in the first evening we were there. The other boys went for a night out there but I was too tired and couldn't afford the KL extortionate prices so gave it a miss. Apparently I missed out on some Malay men buying women from the dance floor!

The second day we were in KL, we caught the Monorail to Times Square, after witnessing the worst case of road rage I've ever seen. A Malaysian dude grabbed an Indian guy out of a taxi after smacking him in the face a couple of times, and then got in the cab himself, with the Indian dude hopping a railing and walking off, very strange.

Times Square has the biggest shopping centre I have ever seen. It has about 13 floors of shops not to mention the cinemas and entertainment facilities, and Malaysia's biggest indoor theme park, costing about 3 squid to get in. Sadly the massive indoor roller coaster wasn't running, because it looked absolutely awesome. We went searching for pirate DVDs only to find out that they had all been shut down in the malls by the Malaysian police.

We decided to go up the KL Tower instead, which allowed you to go higher than the Petronas Towers bridge, and meant that we could get some snaps of the Petronas Towers. We wanted to stay up the towers and catch the sunset but someone had underestimated the time of the sunset by an hour and a half, so we didn't bother. Instead we went back to Times Square and had a game of bowling, which I lost at miserably again, but in my defense, all the thumb holes were too small so I was effectively bowling with 2 fingers. We then got a taxi back to Chinatown after some negotiations with 3 drivers, and got the price down from 25 ringetts to 3.5 by insisting on a meter. We also managed to find a few pirate dvds in the shops in Chinatown, which we all purchased a few of.

The next day we headed to the Cameron Highlands for a bit of relief from the hot weather that had hit us since Singapore.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb