Kuala Lumpur


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
March 13th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

PROLOGUE

While still on the way from Kuching our party was already planning for our next trip. Dr. Burton wanted us to go to Manado in Indonesia. But I have learned enough from our trip to Kuching. I want my next trip to be planned down to the last detail.

While searching for affordable means of transportation within Asia, I stumbled upon the Air Asia Website. At that time they had a promo for MLA-KL. When I computed the round-trip ticket, it only cost a little over Php4,000.00 so I grabbed the opportunity and availed of the promo. Dr. Talaroc and Melvin also availed of the promo but Dr. Burton did not due to some reasons.

Melvin was not able to come with us in the actual trip, however, because he was not allowed by his boss.

March 13, 2007 CDO to Manila

We started our travel from Xavier University in Cagayan de Oro, Philippines. We took the 1:50 P.M. Cebu Pacific flight and arrived about 3:10 P.M. in Manila.

For our one-night stay in Manila, we had booked a Standard Room in Shalom Center in Malate. It cost us about Php700.00 each for the room Dr. Talaroc and I shared.

Perhaps in the near future, one should also explore the possibility of taking the Cebu Pacific flight from Davao or Cebu direct to Clark. This way, a nights' stay in Manila can be foregone.

March 14, 2007 Manila to KL

We woke-up at about 4:00 in the morning and left for the Pasay Bus Station at about 5:05 in the morning. The trip to Clark which costs Php300.00 leaves at 6:30 A.M. and arrive in Clark about 2-3 hours later.

Peronally speaking, I am very excited about this trip but I have no idead about the kind of aircrafts used by Air Asia. Due to its very low fare price, some people believe that it must be one of those old, Vietnam War, or worse, World War-II era aircraft. I was also imaginining the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport, because it was once used by the US Airforce, to be modern, and advanced.

I was proven wrong in both cases. Air Asia was using the latest (newly delivered they say) Airbus units whereas the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport is not very different from the Cagayan de Oro Domestic, although the former was bigger.

Like elsewhere in the Philippines today, the use of public utilities such as terminals is no longer free. One had to pay Php600.00 for the terminal fee in addition to the travel tax (Php1,620.00) Filipinos had to pay when departing as a tourist from the Philippines.

We were not able to eat the sandwich which we bought the other day so Dr. Talaroc had to give it to one of the airport personnel. When we boarded the aircraft, we found out that it was almost empty too many seats, too few passengers (Maybe Air Asia should have more promos he he he he).

For my first meal this day I have Nasi Lemak. It cost me RM16.50.

Also on board the plane were some noisy Koreans who seemed to have enjoyed their trip so much. We arrived in KL a little over 4:00 P.M. and were cleared by the Immigration in no time at all.

I changed some of our US dollars into the Malaysian Ringgit while Dr. Talaroc watched over our luggage. When I returned, Dr. Talaroc introduced me to a bunch of Filipinos from General Santos City in Mindanao who
Heritage StationHeritage StationHeritage Station

This is what happens when you buy the wrong kind of film. Lost picture.
took the Cebu Pacific Flight from Manila to KL.

I was personally glad to see some Filipinos. Though I would have wanted to have a long chat with them, we have to bid our goodbyes as we were to board the bus to KL. The Bus ticket costs RM8.00 from the airport which is far from KL.

While on our way to KL, it was down pouring with some sections of the road overflowing with water. Luckily the rain had stopped when we arrived. Upon arrival in the KL Sentral, we went straight to the KL Monorail Station which is about 140 meters away. The monorail fare to Imbi Station was RM1.19.

The Equator Hostel where we stayed is about 10 minutes' walk away from the Imbi Monorail Station. It was a small backpacker’s hostel which costs us RM22.50 per person. The hostel is also just across the Times Square, a major shopping area in KL.

March 15, 2007 KL to Seim Reap

We did not have a good nights' sleep at the Equator. Although our Danish friend who was very friendly and chatty hardly makes a noise in his sleep, it was the steel
National MosqueNational MosqueNational Mosque

National Mosque of Malaysia. The was the view we enjoyed while eating our Khebab.
bed bunks which do make a noise every time you turn. The fact that a pub is just next door did not also help.

We left the Equator early in the morning on our way to KL Sentral so we can catch our flight to Cambodia.

The next few entries shall refer to our experience in KL after we have returned from Siem Reap.

March 17, 2007 Seim Reap to KL

After having toured Seim Reap for two days we are leaving again for Malaysia. Sem, our Tuktuk driver gladly accompanied us to Seim Reap airport for a charge of US$8.00. Earlier today I sent an email to the conductor of the KTM to researve for us a sleeping berth (second-class sleeper coach).

We wasted no time as soon as we arrived in KL. We went to the KL Sentral to buy our train ticket to Singapore and to leave our luggage behind. It turns out all sleeping berths are occupied so we settled on a second-class seat (non-sleeper). The Train ride to Singapore costs RM30.00.

Having decided that we are no longer going back to the Equator Hostel, we went to the YMCA
KL Pedestrian TunnelKL Pedestrian TunnelKL Pedestrian Tunnel

Pedestrian Tunnel to the Heritage Station (KL).
KL to have a room reserved for us when we arrive from Singapore.

When we finally boarded our train at 10:00 P.M. local time, we found out that the second class seats are not bad at all. In fact, it was very comfortable--soft cushioned seats, air-conditioned, and they also have a television on board.

March 18, 2007 KL to Singapore

We arrived in Johor Bahru a little over 6:00 A.M. Because this was the last town of Malaysia before Singapore, Malaysian Immigration Officials climbed aboard the train to check our travel papers. The Black guy in front of me seemed to have some trouble with his papers because the Immigration official really took delight in scolding the poor chap in front of the other passengers. Partly due to the arctic air-conditioning, and also because I was reminded of our experience in Brunei, I am starting to shake involuntarily. When I handed my passport however, the officer just signed it without a word.

We arrived in the Singaporean boarded about 7:00 in the morning. This time the passengers were asked to disembark from the train to have the Singaporean Authorities examine our papers. Again the Black guy who was in front of me seems to have some trouble. He was isolated from the group and was brought to the office of the head Immigration officer.

After we were cleared by the Immigration, we lost our way back to the train. After trial and error, we finally found our way back. While we were approaching our coach, we saw that the Black guy who was earlier separated by the authorities from the group was smoking in from of a very BIG sign "NO SMOKING VIOLATORS WILL BE PERSECUTED." Luckily for him, we were able to point out the sign to him before he was caught by the border police.

March 19, 2007 KL

I have told Dr. Talaroc that before we were to go to the YMCA, I will have to take a bath first. Luckily, the planners of KL Sentral are sensitive enough to the needs of travelers that they have also put in place shower stalls and rooms where a traveler can temporarily store his luggage while he was taking a bath.

Having refreshed myself, I went to the McDonalds to have McRice and I found out that they don’t have so I ate something else.

Having settled at the YMCA we then went to the National Museum of Malaysia. Unlike in Sarawak where the visit was free, we paid RM2.00 to see the museum exhibits.

In the afternoon we went to the Central Market to buy our pasalubong.

March 20, 2007 KL

We woke up early today so we will be ahead of the line to see the Petronas tower.

We went back to the YMCA and the Indian kitchen woman was angry because we took our breakfast at 10:00 which, she said, was already very late.

After we have eaten our breakfast, we took-off again to see the Islamic Museum. We were told by the Tourist Information Officer that the Islamic Museum was just a walking distance from the National Museum. This was not the case, however. It was like a one-kilometer walk.

Anyway, when we arrived at the Islamic Museum, we found out that we have to pay RM12.00 for the entrance fee. We sort of looked at each other but then we decided to give it a go. The Islamic Museum was perhaps the second best Museum I have visited so far (After the Asian Civilization Museum of Singapore). The exhibits are all well-planned and the explanations were as comprehensive as can be. In some exhibits, the explanations even took on a poetic turn.

Going out of the Islamic Museum, we passed by a woman selling Kebab right in front of the National Mosque of Malaysia. We bought kebab and a soft drink and we enjoyed the scenery.

We have had so much walking for the day that we decided to take a train to KL Sentral. We took the KTM train from the Heritage Station to the KL Sentral and walked our way back to the YMCA.

In the afternoon, we again went to the Central Market.

March 21, 2007 KL to Clark

We left the YMCA at about 3:00 A.M so we can catch-up with our bus to the KLIA-LCCT, the terminal where we were to take our flight back home to the Philippines.

After eating our breakfast at KLIA-LCCT, we checked-in our baggage. Some Filipinos who were also going home requested us if we can handle their excess luggage but we said no for fear that these might contain some illegal substances and materials.

Unlike the plane from Clark, the plane from KL was quite full--full of noisy Filipinos who were very eager to see their loved-ones again after a long period of time.

On the plane I bought an Air Asia die cast to the tune of US$15.00.

It was almost 12:00 when we arrived in Clark. The other Filipinos, just like any Filipinos anywhere in the Philippines, were running, cutting lines, etc. as though the end of the world is near.

We took the Partas bus to Pasay, each of us paying Php350.00. As we were approaching Manila, the depressing look becomes all too apparent to be ignored--smog, traffic, soot-covered buildings, dangling electric, telephone, and cable lines, vandalism, etc.

We stayed at the Friendship Hall and we have dinner with Ms. Ann Sumalpong that evening.

March 22, 2007 Manila to CDO

We took the 10:00 Cebu Pacific flight from Manila to Cagayan de Oro. We parted ways at the airport each of us going our way. As soon as I have unpacked my things, I reported to the Office.

As in my previous trip, this trip also culminated in the office.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb