Back To City Life


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
February 14th 2007
Published: March 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kuala Lumpur

After a total of 10 nights in Penang we continued our journey south on yet another night train to Kuala Lumpur. Our train left at 1030pm and was due to arrive first thing in the morning. The journey was good, luckily we had managed to book a first class cabin a couple of days before, and somehow this had worked out cheaper than both of us paying seperately for second class. Sure wasn't going argue with this, we said that would be fine, and quickly paid and left.

On arrival at KL, it should have been a simple task of getting a taxi to the hostel we were staying, a really nice place call Number8. However we had failed to print off the booking confirmation beforehand and we had no way of getting the address until an Internet cafe opened roughly two hours later. We had asked around but no one seemed to know where the place was. During our wait we caught a cab into town and grabbed some breakie. After checking on the net at 10ish we caught another cab and eventually found the hostel.

We had booked this on the recommendation from our
Chinese CelebrationsChinese CelebrationsChinese Celebrations

All around for the past month, streets have been filled with these orange lantens as part of the Chinese New Year celebrations.
friends Matt and Dawn who had stayed there a few weeks previous. Since then I had also read various travel blogs, and the place seems to be rather popular, getting good reviews. I have to say I would agree with those reviews. Excellently located in the heart of the city, with pretty munch everything at walking distance. Its decorated well, breakfast is included and there just generally a nice atmosphere about the place.

We had three days in total allocated to KL and I think we covered it fairly well. We visited some of the various shopping centres in the city, many of which are very modern and also rather on the large side. On our second day we went up to the Petronas Towers. Completed in 1998, the tower did then, and still does remain to be the tallest twin buildings in the world. It was actually the tallest building in the world until one other was completed in 2003. It's a truly amazing building to look at, and you can tell the people of KL are immensely proud of their creation. It's free to go up, but time slots are allocated to 15 minutes and the highest
Now these really are cool views.. Now these really are cool views.. Now these really are cool views..

Looking out from the KL Tower, you are nearly as high as the top of Petronas!
point you can go too is the bridge, roughly halfway up. This is still higher than most of the other buildings sounding it.

The following day we went up the KL Tower, standing only 30 metres shorter the Petronas, this tower is the fith tallest in world. And this one you can reach the top of. It costs to go up, but it's worth it as you can spend as long as you wish up there looking down over the city. For me this did kinda overshadow going only halfway up Petronas the day before.
The last day of KL was rather uneventful, on our way home the night before it had started to rain heavily and this kept on the next day. We went out in the morning but spent the afternoon at the Hostel. We put on a film to watch, which turned out to be one of the crappiest films Ive ever had the delight of watching. I stuck with it for about 30mins before deciding I wasn't going to waste any more of my time on it. Rob being as lazy as he is, couldn't be bothered to move and so sat through the whole
And then there was lightAnd then there was lightAnd then there was light

Conducting power though our bodies to light up a convetional tube lightbulb in the science centre.
thing anyway.

Before catching the night train that evening down to Singapore (4th and last) we made a mad dash across the city to the Petronas Towers to take photos of it lit up at night. I will add this picture to the blog, in hope that it made all the rushing worth while.
I really liked KL and I think it would be a city I would choose to visit again. Its not massive in size, but this makes it easier to get about and it has a bit of everything to offer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Half Way High!Half Way High!
Half Way High!

Looking down from the Petronas Sky Bridge
Petronas Towers Petronas Towers
Petronas Towers

When your actually here looking at this building and taking the picture, it definately feels like a good place to be in the world.
It's all in the mind!It's all in the mind!
It's all in the mind!

I take on Rob in a test of mind power. Move the ball to the middle with mind power alone and your a winner!
Hey, what are you looking at?Hey, what are you looking at?
Hey, what are you looking at?

Contrary to this photo, these little guys seem amazingly good at turning the otherway just as you attempt to take their picture.
Taking the tourTaking the tour
Taking the tour

Whislt up the KL tower, I ensure I take it all in by making full use of the tour guide head sets!
The KL Tower The KL Tower
The KL Tower

4th or 5th tallest tower in the world. Not totally sure which is the truth as I keep reading different figures depending where I go! Which ever it is, it's impressive.
Tired eyes!Tired eyes!
Tired eyes!

Robs enjoys early morning breakfast at Number 8ight.
Number 8ight HostelNumber 8ight Hostel
Number 8ight Hostel

If in KL, I would recommend this as a nice, and convienient place to stay.


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb