A baby Rat, Cheeky monkeys, plenty of cocktail jugs and Merdeka!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
February 15th 2007
Published: February 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 27th August

We got up and left George town by bus, unfortunately we had decided to leave Georgetown the same day everyone else was so we were held up in a traffic jam for an hour or so. Finally we were on our way. The journey took about 5 hours and consisted of me sleeping and reading.

When we made it too Kuala Lumpur we got off the bus and became surrounded by touts for hostels we eventually grabbed one and headed off with him. Lara and Jess were staying at the same one and we had said we would meet up with them here after leaving them in Cameron Highlands. The hostel had a bar on the roof and had a tv to watch the football on, also as a added bonus when you bought a beer you got too put something on the bbq.

My first impressions of Kuala Lumpur was good as i was expecting something along the lines of Bangkok and thankfully it was nothing like it. Kuala Lumpur is very clean and has alot of nice buildings. It was also quite an accessable city unlike Bangkok where things are all over the place in random scatterings.

After checking into our hostel me, Paul and Laura went for a walk through China town and the market there which was absolutely rammed full of people. We went for a bite to eat and then headed back to the hostel where we found a note on our door from Lara and Jess saying they were upstairs on the roof at the bar. So i headed off up there and Paul and Lara decided to relax in the room. When i got up there Lara and Jess were no where to be seen but i sat down and bought a beer and watched Middlesborough v Fulham, and chatted to some English guy from Middlesborough. A few beers later i made my way down and then went back up with Paul and Laura and met up with Lara and Jess and then played cards, and arranged to go out on the town with Lara and Jess for there last night in Malaysia.

Just before we went bed though i had seen a rat on the roof and then later on Laura saw a baby rat in the room, so Laura went to tell the receptionist, to which he said........"what did it look like? a baby one, oh yeah i have seen hime before!" and that was the end of that, due to his lack of worry and started not ot care either so all we did was say right no more food in the room and make sure the gap between the door and the floor is always covered. And we thought of it no more, whereas usually i would be thinking oh shit theres rats in the hostel. But actually the hostel was quite clean and so i didnt worry they almost became like the pets of the hostel.

Monday 28th August

The next day i woke up and had a breakfats of beans on toast whilst Paul and Laura went to a street stall as they thought it was a rip off to have breakfast in the hostel. Anyway after breakfast we headed off with Lara and Jess and wlaked through Kuala Lumpur and then went up the KL Tower and saw the sights of Kula Lumpur from a birds eye view. Paul and Laura didnt join me as they thought it was too expensive but by the time they had
Night out in KLNight out in KLNight out in KL

Me Paul Laura Colin and Jess
thought that i had bought mine, fortunately Lara decided to join me up there.

We then walked some more whilst Lara tried to find her insurance office which she had to sort out before she left. I didnt mind as just random walking around cities give you a better feel and sense of direction of the whole city instead of just the usual places. W e eventually found it and in doing so wlaked passed the Petronas Towers which where pretty damn huge. We then decided to walk to the Art gllery which when we got there was inexplicably closed so we then decided to go for a walk in the Botanicle Gardens which werent the best i have to say but me and Paul entertained ourselves on the swings and the slide and the seesaw, we were being very mature. Anyway by this time we were slightly lost and so had to walk over freeways and other fun walk ways to get back to where we needed to be. We then caught the metro which was reasonably priced, back to the hostel.

We then had showers and a quick rest before getting ready for our night out in Kuala Lumpur. We then went for a bite to eat and bought some alcohol to take back to the hostel to play some drinking games. The guy in the store who sold us the alcohol told us to be careful not to drink too much and seemed genuinely concerned, which was funny considering we only bought two small bottles of vodka. In England we would be laughed at for drinking so little and told to buy more!

Anyway we got rather drunk in Lara and Jess' dorm room and then for no apparent reason at all headed to the stairwell and was then joined by a random Canadian Guy called Colin who was a really good guy and joined in the drinking games with enthusiasm. By this point poor old Laura was completely pissed and so we decided to head out to a bar. A few cocktail jugs and hours later and back we headed to the hostel not before singing Phil Collins songs in the taxi which happened to be on the radio. Me Paul, Lara and Jess then headed off up to the bar on the roof and played cards and just talked. Paul had put Laura to bed and before long joined her. I decided to give them a night to themselves and slept on a empty bed in Lara and Jess' room.

Tuesday 29th August

i awoke dazed and confused wondering why i was in a different room before i remembered. I then headed back down and had breakfast, feeling surprisingly fresh. I then had a shower and came back to the room to find Paul and Laura badly hungover and them out for the count. So that day i spent with Lara and Jess walking around the malls which were vast, one even had a roller coaster inside.

Me and paul then went for a farewell meal with Lara and Jess whilst Laura stayed in the hostel hugging the toilet and then said goodbye. Me and Paul then ventured into the market to find deals and set ourself a taget of getting 5 football shits for 100 ringit. We failed but thought tomorow we may do better.

Wednesday 30th August

The next day we went to the Bhatu caves. And the most memorable thing about these caves where the monkeys which ran the place, we saw on a few occasions monkeys running at people and snatching food out of there hand, which was entertaining, especially when they were not running at you. To get to the caves we had to walk 277 steps walking past all the cheeky monkeys keeping an eye on you to see if you had any food.

The cave itself was probably once an amazing sight as it was huge, but due to tourism it had been spoiled and the floor had been cemented for the festivals thrown there, and so it lost its cave feel. we did spend alot of time there though but this was from just us watching the monkeys.

That night we realised from out of the blue, it was Malaysian Independance day the next day and so that night there was going to be huge celebrations. So off we set to the Petronas towers and sat in the park waiting for the fireworks. Considering it was a celebration it was a relatively somber affair qwith just everyone sat down talking, and the crowd was mainly made up of malaysians under the age of 30. Even the stage which had music on didnt get any life into the atmosphere. Anyway the fireworks then came ten minutes late but they were worth it, it really was a spectacular display. We then headed back through the masses of people and all of a sudden the streets came to life with thousands of people walking about and people in cars with flags hanging out of the windows tooting there horns.

We finally made it back and played cards on the roof and then went to bed.

Thursday 31st August

The next day we had a lazy day and just wandered around the city on the heritage trail. That night we went to the market and me and paul finally got our deal which ended up being 120 for 4 shirts.

Friday 1st September

We had a very early start as this was our last day and we decided to get there early to go up the Petronas Towers which for some unknown reason you couldnt go up all the way, only just over half at the platform linking the two towers. It was a really clear day and so we got a really good view of the city aqnd the mountain in the background. we then
the mobthe mobthe mob

the huge crowd on the street that reminded me of when you see Capital cities after their country has just won the world cup
walked around the shopping mall, me mainly walking around the huge book store and then heading back to the hostel for a rest and a read of my book. That night we booked our tickets to Malaka and had one last walk round the night market, before heading to bed.

And to wake up the next day for our next journey, to the historical town of Malaka!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb