I'm on top of the world Mom!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
November 21st 2006
Published: November 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Two TowersThe Two TowersThe Two Towers

I normally don't look this mean
Welcome to the Petronas Towers, at 452 meters (1483 feet) they are the second tallest building in the world and the tallest twin towers. We queued up at 8:30 this morning to get tickets (free) to go up to the "sky bridge" observation area. For those visiting here, the entrance is down one floor from the office building lobby. We arrived with at least 200 people waiting ahead of us in line, but once they started handing out tickets around 9 things went quickly in line. We were through the line by 9:15 with tickets for 9:45am. The sky bridge is on the 41st floor connecting the two towers. Quite a view of the city even though you are only half way up. By the time we came down the line was still there and they were passing out 2pm tickets, so the advice is "go early" as it is a very popular attraction.

Some fast facts for Geoff:

-It took 54 hours of continuous pour concrete to lay the 15m foundation
-The Sky Bridge is riding on independent suspension on both sides of the connections, with up to four feet of give on both sides to cover the trade winds.
-The building was designed to withstand Cat 5 hurricane winds, but has only seen 60km to date
-The bridge was brought in and hoisted in one piece
-The bridge's function aside from tourism is to connect people between the two towers and serve as an escape route if things ever go south

There is a park adjacent to the towers with the largest playground we've ever seen. Very nice to wander. No dogs to be found?

Also, the KLCC shopping center contains almost as many stores as the MegaMall with a food court that will blow your brain.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb