More bang for your buck!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
November 20th 2006
Published: November 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This morning we visited the Midvalley Mega Mall, which was a very easy 30-minute trip on the SkyTrain (monorail) and commuter line from the hotel. This mall is huge to say the least. Five stories of stores upon stores. I've been to North America's largest shopping mall up in Edmonton, and this dwarfs it by comparison. I think this is the second largest mall in all of Asia. I am now scared of the first, wherever it is.

Deals everywhere compared to American prices. We loaded up on Nike stuff in their "official" store. Everything was about 25% of what it would cost at home - but I guess that makes sense since it is all made over here. There also is a big market for "unofficial" merchandise here so I think they price low to compete with the knock-offs which I have heard are good and or better quality. We are going to explore some night markets tonight to take a look at some of the more "affordable" wares the city has to offer.

Since it was my high school and college job, movie theaters are always of interest to me. 007 just came out here, so not
Jackie Chan SportJackie Chan SportJackie Chan Sport

Jackie Chan Sport Club at the Midvalley Mega Mall
much delay for new releases. What really got me though was the cost of things. It's about 4 RM (Malaysian Ringgit) to the dollar here. A movie goes for RM 11 at peak times ($3), large popcorn is RM 4 ($1) and large soda is RM 4 ($1). Cheap Date! - Two tickets, a large popcorn and two large drinks would be $9. That's less than a single ticket in ATL. Wow!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.089s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb