Enjoying some nature.


Advertisement
Published: July 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Bird Park - Kuala LumpurBird Park - Kuala LumpurBird Park - Kuala Lumpur

It took a while to get this photo but it was well worth the time. The coloring on this bird is so vibrant.
On the final day in Prachuap Khiri Khan, Thailand, I bought tickets (@ 750 Baht each) on an overnight train to Hat Yai, Thailand. We were supposed to leave at 8:00 pm, but as usual the train was an hour late. Unfortunately, the lower beds were already taken so Macayla and I were stuck in top bunks. They are quite small but adequate. There are two straps that keep you from falling out of the bunk, thank goodness. I was excited because I thought the train would lull me to sleep but that was not how it worked. Sometimes the train would jerk violently and other floor which dumps all of the waste onto the tracks below. Very sanitary!! It is an odd sensation while sitting on the pot to have air blowing up onto your tush. We were thankful to arrive in Hat Yai at 9:00 am and exhausted from such small amounts sleep. Thai overnight trains are not that wonderful, but they do save you from being cramped up in an overnight bus.

Once in Hat Yai, we took a bus to the Malaysian border. It was a simple process to get through but then we were stuck because we had not prearranged transportation before crossing over. We had to pay a large sum to have a taxi take us to the bus station in the next town. From there we caught a bus to Alor Setar, Malaysia and stayed for the night. There was nothing spectacular about the place and we left immediately the following day on a five hour bus ride to Kuala Lumpur. We were happy to be back there as we were familiar with the area and wanted to purchase some souvenirs that we could only find in KL.

One afternoon was spent at a butterfly garden, since we were unable to get moving any earlier. We saw many amazing butterflies that we had not seen before plus some other cool plants and animals. Another day, we went to the bird sanctuary which boasts to be the world's largest enclosed aviary. Many of the birds are free to move about as they wish while others are still enclosed in their own areas. It was a nice day and fun to spend time with the birds. Both places can get overly humid due to the materials used to enclose the parks and the lack of air circulation. We were melting by the time we left each park.

Next destination: Malaka. I here it is quite beautiful from the locals and an easy two hour bus ride.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Kuala LumpurKuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur

Each piece of bamboo is filled with shredded bamboo and steamed. Then the shredded part is removed from the middle of each bamboo piece and packaged with a drizzle of syrup and shredded coconut. Very tasty.
Kuala LumpurKuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur

Butterfly Park






Kuala LumpurKuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur

Mosque - one of many


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb