Kuala Lumpur (10-12 Jun 13)


Advertisement
Published: June 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Petronas Twin TowersPetronas Twin TowersPetronas Twin Towers

Once the world's tallest, and still very imposing. The photo really doesn't do justice to KL's (and perhaps the country's) most famous landmark.
After a lightning quick 2.5-week respite back home in Singapore, I'm back on the road...again! Which kicks off the start of what I guess would be the third leg of my Southeast Asian adventure. And for my first stop, I'm back in the land of the Ringgit again, this time on the peninsular side, and the capital of Malaysia that is Kuala Lumpur (KL).

It's funny how by virtue of its sheer proximity (just a 5h+ bus ride away) KL is arguably the foreign city that is best-known to Singaporeans. But despite having visited several times on road trips with friends and even working trips, I've never actually backpacked the city, and checked out its major tourist attractions. So it's kinda ironic that only after one year into my big regional backpacking trip, did I actually find myself here. And even then, I have to admit it was somewhat incidental, as my main objective was really to head to the Indonesian island of Sumatra, and the flights from KL were much cheaper than direct from Singapore.

So despite the short two night pre-flight transit, KL didn't disappoint. In many ways it's like Singapore, with its busy traffic, towering skyscrapers,
Merdeka SquareMerdeka SquareMerdeka Square

Aka Independence Square, where the first Prime Minister declared the country's independence from the British back in 1957. Today, it's perhaps more famous for the sporadic scenes of protests by disgruntled Malaysians, and the ensuing riot police vans and tear gas cannisters.
multi-cultural population and overall buzz. But yet I can't help but feel that the populace seems just that little bit less uptight, and more grounded with life, broadly speaking. Singaporeans are always making fun of Malaysians for being too relaxed, but perhaps they have a good thing going after all...

Stayed at The Longhouse.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Bukit BintangBukit Bintang
Bukit Bintang

The capital's main shopping district.
Raise the Red LanternRaise the Red Lantern
Raise the Red Lantern

I'm sure you're not surprised to learn this is Chinatown, in Petaling Street.
Sri Mariamman TempleSri Mariamman Temple
Sri Mariamman Temple

Indian-Hindu temple, just round the corner from Chinatown. The melting pot that is Malaysia...
Sultan Abdul Samad BuildingSultan Abdul Samad Building
Sultan Abdul Samad Building

Apparently of mixed Islamic/ British colonial influence.
KL Visitor's CentreKL Visitor's Centre
KL Visitor's Centre

Definitely one of the best I've ever seen. An attraction in its own right!
KL City ModelKL City Model
KL City Model

At the Visitor's Centre. Supposedly the largest around.
KL Visitor's CentreKL Visitor's Centre
KL Visitor's Centre

With the municipal library in the background.
Masjid JamekMasjid Jamek
Masjid Jamek

Apparently it was originally entirely made of wood, until the British intervened.
Royal Malaysian Police MuseumRoyal Malaysian Police Museum
Royal Malaysian Police Museum

I couldn't run away from my roots, and had to pay this place a visit. This was the confiscated weapons gallery.


Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1002s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb