Capacity 45. Occupancy 72.


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur » China Town
September 11th 2010
Published: September 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday morning I woke up well rested and inspired. I spent 9usd on a jump rope, which I was supposed to use daily and so far hadn't unpacked, it was time. I headed out to a small park a few blocks away from my hostel that overlooked the spires of the Petronas towers. The monsoon rains had hit the night before so the humidity and heat were still climbing back to their feet.

With jump rope whirring over head and under feet I began to shake off the morning rust and noticed that hundreds of people in full Muslim regalia were gathering on the sidewalks and in the very park where I was working out. The crowds were joyous, laughing amongst friends and posing for pictures with family. I had forgotten that it was a Muslim high holiday. An unfortunate faux paux really, because now a lovely local family will forever be burdened by the question, "who is that crazy ass white boy jumping rope in the background of our holiday photo?"

Later I met up with my friend Khai who is in KL for a few days before traveling to Australia where he plans to either bartend to make quick travel cash or pick fruit to kill time. As always with Khai the wind will ultimately decide. We stopped for dinner at a food court in Chinatown. We were the only Westeners in the place so we were treated to a musical selection of traditional Malaysian artists including, John Denver, Garth Brooks and Johnny Cash, "It was down in Louisiana just about a mile from Texarkana, in them old cotton fields back home." Doing as backpackers do we smuggled in a bottle of high octane Malaysian whisky to accompany our delicious clay pot chicken rice. Naturally this put us on to the path to excellent decision making. We met up with some new friends from the hostel and dived head long into the night. The rest of the evening can best be decribed as.....

Tjkdp asdl;; duayhgp *^%!(BADWIDTH)%!&(MISSING)%!a(MISSING)lhdgg OF COURSE kjads;la;. Dals;dkas;ufp slka wohdlkalag lka;lasdh;.
Jlkadja;yel a;d a;ahd;a sad;klf SON!! al;ashf;dash a;hd;sah. Klak;dsyya dhay g;d ato :a;aas;hfvesl a;lkhd;a sd;alk a;lksah qoqpoqre g;fsd;sp pyewqpp aspa apaaygy e;lu;' a;sdays ajaphae. YOU ARE BEAUIFER! as;lakhf ashdfl; pww porpop. Opyafdsa.

Drink several glasses of Malaysian whisky and reread that. I promise it will be brilliant, charming and every bit as funny as it believes itself to be.

Today I decided to visit the Batu caves just outside of the city. I boarded the #11 bus; capacity 45, occupancy 72. Forty minutes and an awkward spooning session with a small Indian man later I arrived. The caves are truly beautiful. 300 steps up the side of a limestone cliff they open up in a wonder of cathedral light, darkened corners, dampness, depth and hieght. The word "caves" does not do them justice, they are the great open space where the mountain breathes. The caves beauty and remoteness made them an ideal location for a hindu temple. In both Hinduism and Bhuddism sacrifice is an important aspect of worship. And in South East Asia "sacrifice" often means climbing, and steps, a lot of steps. Who needs a jumprope? Just worship.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

015015
015

Sunlight shining down on the Batu caves
027027
027

It really was a nice "garllery"


11th September 2010

Wow
Sounds amazing Mike. You sure you can't work on our media kits instead?
11th September 2010

So proud of you
Hey bro, i am so very proud of you for following your dreams and just getting out there and living your life. You are such a great role model for my children. It has been so much fun for us to read what you have written. We can't wait to see what adventure you find next. (They of coure get the G rated version) Enjoy every moment! We love you.
12th September 2010

How dare you
Tim. Media kits? Really? HOW DARE YOU. lol.
12th September 2010

Spooning with Strangers
I love your writing! You always make me laugh out loud. I am so glad you're blogging your fun adventures and sharing them so we can all live vicariously through you for a bit. Glad you're exploring and I look forward to reading more. Be safe and continue having a blast!
12th September 2010

Love this ish!
14th September 2010

Proud of you
hey Mike, I am so proud of you, following your heart. I love to read your writing. Enjoy every moment. all my best. Micah

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0172s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb