Roti tissue, Koopa, and Twin Towers


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our last full day in KL! The plan of the day was to go check out the bird park and maybe the butterfly park, at some point see the Petronas Towers and do whatever else that comes in between (forecast is high chance of food involvement 😊). We started out with breakfast at the place we are staying which consisted of roti canai, roti tissue (also known as roti helicopter), dhal, chicken curry, and fruit. I'm not sure I've seen roti tissue in the states, but it's like the normal roti canai but super thin and crispy with of sugar sprinkled in it and sometimes sweet milk, some places make it very thin and long so when they plate it it's a tall tower, so I guess it can look like a helicopter blade. It's super delicious and I can see going through a dozen of them at one sitting would not be a problem! It was a nice breakfast, my preference was for the chicken curry and John's was the dhal. He powered through the food adamant no not missing out on anything while on our trip even though I'm sure his stomach was trying to stab and kill him from the inside out!

During breakfast we were able to meet our other housemates, one girl was from Mexico living in Bali for the past couple of months working I think on some textile company, it wasn't clear but it sounded like she was traveling to purchase textiles to send back to Bali. It sounded like maybe some sort of exchange or maybe short term work project. The other house mates were a couple who are originally from Algerian who live in France. They were a fun couple on an open ended trip booking their flights along the way where the wind blows them. It's so easy to do this here if you have time since booking your flights with Air Asia is so easy and affordable. All legs of the flights to a destination cost the same whether you book a one way ticket or round trip, unlike other airlines that charge you more for one way flights vs. around trip requiring a return leg.

I use our pictures to recall the events of the day and I'm thinking it can't be right that we went from breakfast to going out to eat right away but apparently that's the case folks!! Usually I just ask John if he's hungry and if it's affirmative, we eat, and if you know John - he's the bottomless pit. So we leave the house ( after spending at least an hour talking with everyone and walk out to a restaurant that the staff and owners of the bed and breakfast all really like to eat at since this would be our last chance to do so before leaving. The food was good but I found out later we didn't order any of the food the restaurant does well so the restaurant wasn't a goldstar in my book. One of the dishes that was so well loved was stir fried stink beans, now I've eaten stink beans once before and I didn't have a feel for it. If you know me, I'm not once to shy away from the food with some funky, but this bean didn't appeal to me. Maybe I had it frozen and the fresh ones are much better but I didn't get the chance to figure if that was so or not since I was one man down on trying new foods and I didn’t want to waste food. Next time.

So the rest of the day we checked out the Orchid park and the butterfly park. We were going to go to the Bird park but the way they did it is that they have a huge net over an open area and the point was that you would be able to walk among some of the birds and they wouldn't escape. Since we saw some pretty cool birds at the HK zoo and botanical gardens as well as the cool hornbills in Pangkor, I wasn't so keen on more birds, especially if there's a higher chance of being pooped on. So we skipped it and went to the Orchid park instead since I wanted to get some pictures of any new or rare orchids for my mom since she's nuts about plants and flowers. They were really nice but it was such a hot day! After the Orchid Park, we walked over to the butterfly park. John was on the fence about it but I told him it's nearby, and the entry fee was so minimal, might as well check it out. Well it was a pretty neat park, there were netting at the butterfly park as well but I know these guys won't be pooping on me!! There were so many butterflies of different sizes native to Malaysia (I think). It wasn't a huge enclosure but well designed so that you have many routes around to enjoy little ponds and vegetation. It was really cool to see a butterfly feed from a flower, I saw its LONG snout or tongue (??) dip into a long flower and lick out the nectar. Biggest bonus that we enjoyed from the butterfly park were the turtles and other insects that were in the education center. There were so many bugs that you only see on TV on the Discovery Channel!! They also had some insect and spider specimens mounted in the display boxes that were fantastic! I would say the butterfly park was a much better value if you're into bugs, insects and crawlies. Check out my pictures to see some of the ones we took pictures of!

After the park we decided to take a taxi back to the city center to save our feet since we've done so much walking on this trip. My feet hurt every single day by the time we turn in for bed. We could have walked back but we do enjoy some a/c and talking to taxi drivers 😊. So we went to the Berjaya Time Square, a mall that has a roller coaster inside to draw shoppers. It's pretty neat, and the mall is huge. We didn't walk around too much since we needed to head back and meet up with the Owners of the BnB we're staying at because we were all going to meet and go to their house and cook different ethnic meals. How that came around was that they had talked to the Mexican girl staying at the same house we were and she said that the Mexican food here isn't really Mexican and somehow it was arranged that she was supposed to come to their house and make real Mexican food so we got invited along and I was supposed to make something Vietnamese. I was just wondering how she was going to pull of Mexican food since the ingredients are a lot further off than for me making Vietnamese food. Anyway so it turns out that that dinner didn't happen. She didn’t make it back from wherever she went and the other couple had their own touring to do. So since we were the only couple to show up, they decided it would be more fun to just go out eat out in the suburbs where really only locals would be (SCORE!). We went with Christina and Michael, who picked up their 16yo daughter from her work and we went out and about ordering meals and sharing them. They showed us three of some of their favorite haunts and the food were mostly all very good. It was so gracious of them, I didn't want to keep the out too late so after three spots, they dropped us off at one of the light rail stations and we bid them goodbye since we wouldn't see them again before leaving the next day. Really awesome couple, so passionate about their city and country, we couldn't have asked for more better hosts. We had fun talking to them about going to school in America since their daughter was going to go to Idaho for school ( yea don’t ask me why) and they had questions about all sorts of thing. John was freaking out her mom with all sorts of nutty things that happens in college, oye! Leave it to John, I had make sure they understood, you can only take about 80%!o(MISSING)f what John says as the truth. You know fishermen and their tales...

From the light rail we wanted to check out the Malay night market that only happens once a week on Saturday. Unfortunately it was too late and most stalls were already cleaning up when we arrived. Since it was our last night and it was around 9pm and we never made it out to the twin towers we decided to just walk out to them and take an obligatory photo. Ya know, to at least show people we weren't JUST eating this whole time 😊 At this point my camera had run out of juice and John's camera while took fantastic photos, you can't really tell if it was a good photo or not by viewing it on the camera screen. We didn't get any good photos of the towers, then I remembered I had my cell phone (without a local sim) in my purse and we were able to take a few good ones, just haven't been able to get them off the phone yet. After our obligatory tourist picture, we walked all the way home showered packed our stuff and hit the sack so we could get up early to catch our bus to Lumut where we will take a ferry out to the Island of Pangkor!



http://s9.photobucket.com/user/Tanyahh1/library/The%!E(MISSING)ating%!t(MISSING)rip/kl%!<(MISSING)/a>

password : turtlebutt

Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb