An Island stopped in time


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Perak » Pangkor Island
April 28th 2013
Published: May 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

http://s9.photobucket.com/user/Tanyahh1/library/The%!E(MISSING)ating%!t(MISSING)rip/pk%!<(MISSING)/u>



Our bus ride to Lumut was supposed to be around 3-4 hours but it ended up to be around 5-6 hours instead. Like many countries where timeliness is not a focus, we definitely did not make it by 3-4 hours. First of all our ride was not supposed to include a connecting bus change nor a bus that made stops to pick up and drop off riders but it happened folks. I was kind of annoyed but honestly its part of the territory.



I do enjoy taking the bus since you do get a chance to see the country you're traveling through. Malaysia is so lush, there are lots of mountains/hills that are green. The seats were pretty comfortable and besides, it would have taken just about the same time to get to the airport and fly out anyway.



On May 5th, the country had a big election so there are flags of the different parties are everywhere, so that's why you'll see all the flags in our pictures. When we got to the jetty, we got our tickets for the ferry and hopped on and in 20 minutes we were on an island that you can ride the perimeter in about 20-25 mins. It was perfect dip in craziness in the places we've been to. People going to Pangkor usually stay on the beach side of the island but I decided I'd rather over in the towns where locals live at one of the three fishing towns. The one we were at had more of the Chinese fishermen. Our guesthouse was pretty cool it was owned and ran by Joyce who is a very welcoming and enterprising person. It's a new guesthouse since August 2012 so the facilities were new, yet at the same time old. Some of the structures in the house were built by utilizing driftwood and old fishing nets from the local fish farm. It's a charming and unique place. We would definitely stay there again.



The beach area is so dead at night since it's just mostly tourists and the hotel staff. So it was great to be among the locals. We ended up renting a scooter and rode it around the island for two days, mainly to just get a good breeze to cool down! Much of the food we ate in Pangkor were from the local vendors in town and mostly were stir frys. The woks meals were fantastic! They were also very cheap since we were paying local prices for food, while the meals at the beach were at least 4 times the prices we paid and not the authentic stuff either.



The fun part about staying at the local fishing village on an island is that you get to see and experience stuff you would never think of staying at a resort. We called for wild boars to feed them with the neighborhood kids; we watched them hang around and play badminton; got a local tour of the neighborhood and looking at the vegetables growing in their yards; and explored how they built their homes around huge natural rock structures.



One of the days we went over to the resorts area and watched a man feed the hornbills, we were also able to feed them, those birds are awesome. I'll have to upload the videos later. We went to a little cove with some intentions to swim but the tide was so low, we ended up just exploring the waters and the hermit crabs. John was walking around without slippers and ended up cutting himself on the underside of his foot! This guy is so freaken accident prone! After that happened we decided to just go to the main beach and hang out. The sand was so white and fine it was like walking on dust. I played in the water for awhile to cool off and John swam. It was a holiday week ( Malaysia Labor day) so we thought it would be crowded but turns out there weren't many people on that strip of the beach, they were all probably over at another section that had water sports.



Oh one of the really cool things we encountered in Pangkor was told to us from our guesthouse host. She told me that there are very large fish at one of the temples on the island. We went to check it out and the pond that the temple had contained 3 very large Arwana (sp?) fish. I'm talking at least 5-6 feet long and possibly 2 feet in diameter. They were MONSTERS. I really wondered how they could possibly grow that large since the pond was pretty small. All the other fish there were also huge. Pictures and videos will have to follow later!

Pictures from day 1 in Pangkor:

http://s9.photobucket.com/user/Tanyahh1/library/The%!E(MISSING)ating%!t(MISSING)rip/pk%!<(MISSING)/u>

usual password!

Anyway, I'll update some more when I'm not so pooped!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb