Transit day


Advertisement
Published: May 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The thing about airports are that they take a whole lot of your time. Our flight from HK was just 3.5 hours but we ended up really killing the bulk of our day due to having to be at the airport early including any travel to and fro.



We left at 8:10am from our guesthouse in HK and got on the bus that took us to the airport, the ride about 1 hour. From then on we checked in and then waiting at the airport since Air Asia advises to come extra early for their flights for 'just in case', they also mentioned that often time their gate changes so you have to keep checking the information board. So I got some noodles at the airport, after which I sat and waited to board the plane. Our flight was 10 minutes early to board and take off so that was a plus. Finally after boarding and flying we arrive in KL around 315? 3:45? I am not sure, no watch and no phone! By the time we got ourselves from the airport to KL Sentral, we finally arrive at our Bed and Breakfast at around 6PM. It's nuts, almost 12 hours and they're in the same time zone!



Remember when I was complaining about the humidity in HK? Well, what the heck was I bitching about? It's much more stickier and hotter in KL, reminds me of the weather we had in Vietnam. Anyway, I knew that we were going to have culture shock in KL but even expecting it didn't ease the experience. It's kind of interesting coming from HK where everything and everyone is go go go! And bustling to arrive in KL where while things are busy people are much more relaxed. People at the airport counters took their little time, customs officers chatting with each other, ladies at the bank money exchange will be tapping things out on their smartphones while you're asking them for things such as exchange your money. The people at the busy Mcdonald's counter took their time, 3-4 workers gathering at one register to either actively or observe whatever issue or commotion that was going on instead of being more efficient in serving the 5 lines of customers 8 deep. I think that's the main feeling I got, inefficiency, I think that's just the American in me. Everyone is mostly friendly though as if you offer a smile, a bright friendly one will be returned to you.



I can see myself really loving this country. There is such a huge mix of people here and to them it's nothing but a thang. We went to night market (right around the corner from where we are staying!) and it was food galore, all sorts! Thai, Chinese, Malaysian, Pakistani, Indian food all on one street. John and I were in hog heaven. There were snails, frogs, fish, skatewing, guts and glory, fruits of all sorts. We didn't really get to eat much during the day today but trust me, we more than made up for it at night! We did some serious damage, and the really cool thing is almost everything you can order has 2-3 sizes so you can order a small order of 3-5 different things for a party of two and nosh and nibble all night! It's such a great way to eat if you also have a large group of people and want to just have a night out relaxing and eating with friends. Also these little feasts will not cost you and arm and a leg, esp with the USD!



There are no such things it seems here as crosswalks. You just kind of watch and cross, so far not as scary as in Vietnam but it's jay walking central. If you're used to clean, this isn't quite the place for you. Be prepared for wet streets, garbage on the sides of the road and typical stuff in a country that is a little more old school. Even so, the water is safe to drink, any ice that are shaped (not broken from a larger chunk) are safe. Which is great because it's so freaken hot here.



So we ended up staying out until 2am eating our way up and down the street Jalan Alor then headed back to our wonderful guesthouse to shower and sleep so we can get up to go to breakfast with the owners of the bed and breakfast at 9am.

http://s9.photobucket.com/user/Tanyahh1/slideshow/The%!E(MISSING)ating%!t(MISSING)rip/kl%!<(MISSING)/a> password turtlebutt

Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb