London - Kuala Lumpur - Sydney


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur » Bukit Bintang
December 27th 2009
Published: February 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Twelve hour flight and eight hours ahead brought us to KL first thing in the morning and to an great but bargain hotel, the best combination. Amel had organised some Couchsurfing activity before our arrival, not a bed for the night this time but a party on the 27th floor of some posh high rise in the golden triangle as they call it. The guy who’s party it was describes himself on his profile as being semi-retired but still trading on the European market and also that he’s being “mentored by people at the top of their fields” so we arrived thinking we were going to meet a prize dickhead, in fact he was quite nice in the flesh, perhaps his girlfriend writes his profile. He has a Malayan girlfriend which I guess is why he has set up home here although he claims its because he’s a night person and of course the European market is live when its night time here. This guy has thrown the party open to the entire KL Couchsurfing group so I’m thinking there are going to be hundreds there, in fact, more like forty but some interesting and different people including an English/French couple who have cycled to the party, additionally, they have cycled through 47 countries in a the last five years, yes, they have been travelling non-stop for the last five years on a budget of £15 a day, this meant that they had been Couchsurfing and camping wherever they went. The visible signs of their tight budget were that they were both very lean, came to the party with nothing but were eating everything and both slipped off during the evening to make use of the shower. We also met some very helpful locals who helped to plan our next few days in KL. We managed to fight the jet lag until midnight and then off home to bed.

The next day we wandered around KL, went down to Chinatown and by the afternoon came to the conclusion that KL was a place of shopping malls, good places to eat and not a lot else. We met another couchsurfer, Patricia in the afternoon who is an artist and English teacher and had moved to KL from Borneo. She was lovely and gave us her afternoon and evening to show us some sights of KL and introduced us to some local food including an incredibly smelly and foul tasting fruit, can’t remember its name but I will know it if I see it!

The day before our flight to Sydney we took a coach to a popular seaside town recommended by the couchsurfers we met at the party. Bit of a waste of time. The scenery from the coach was good to get a bit of a feel for Malaysia but the town had nothing to offer except a few dull colonial buildings.

The next day we caught our flight in the evening to Sydney, arriving at 8 in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Colonial buildingsColonial buildings
Colonial buildings

This town is promoted as one of the highlights of Malaysia - don't believe a word,... a few dodgy colonial builidings and thats about it
Same townSame town
Same town

Amel pointing at nothing as there is nothing there to see
View from our hotel View from our hotel
View from our hotel

With the twin towers showing
Amel and KLAmel and KL
Amel and KL

The monorail and the twin towers just showing
KL couchsurfing partyKL couchsurfing party
KL couchsurfing party

Us with the trans-world cucling duo
Us by  the pool on top of the buildingUs by  the pool on top of the building
Us by the pool on top of the building

This is as posh at it got for us


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb