Day 107 - Kuching, Chinese Festival


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak
March 21st 2006
Published: April 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Slept ok considering the basic accommodation and the constant crowing of cockrels in the morning. Louisa had a morning swig of the rice whisky I had bought, thinking it was water. After a blowpipe demonstration by a village elder we all had a go, though the animals had nothing to fear from me. Said our farewells to the village and set off back down river to a spot where we disembarked for a short trek through the jungle where our guide explained the medicinary and culinary values of some plants and showed us rubber trees being tapped for latex, very smelly. We passed a graveyard for the locals who are mostly Christian now. Back to the boat to continue further down river where we stopped for a swim while our boat crew cooked a superb bbq lunch of fish, pork, rice and vegetables steam cooked in bamboo. Delicious! The girls begged to save the life of the live chicken which had accompanied us on the boat. They named him Keith. After the boat ride and the long minibus transfer back to town we were ready for some rest. However! As we arrived in town we became stuck in a huge procession which seemed to stretch for miles. Continuing our good timing on such events, we arrived for the Chinese celebrations of the birthday of one of their Gods. It turned out to be the largest procession I had ever seen, even surpassing the Sydney Mardis Gras! After making our way back to the hostel to drop off our bags, we decided to follow the procession around town for hours, amazed at the complexity and decoration of the hundreds of floats. It finished with a huge firework display right outside the hostel. Superb day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Lunch breakLunch break
Lunch break

Drinking rice whisky which they offered us!
Even more amazing floatEven more amazing float
Even more amazing float

With garden and water feature!


Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 23; qc: 94; dbt: 0.1024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb