Day 03: Petroleum Museum Sarawak (May 2019)


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Miri
May 21st 2019
Published: December 19th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday, 21st May 2019

Breakfast was spot on as the eating place that we were planning to go was closed this morning. The Grab driver was kind enough to bring us to a private house instead which operated as a daytime eatery within the neighborhood. We probably tasted the best roasted Char Siew, Kolo Mee and Sarawak Laksa at this unassuming place. And it seemed that only the locals knew about this hidden gem.

Sitting on top of Canada Hill overlooking the city is the Petroleum Museum which is a short ride away from our hotel. Next to it is the Grand Old Lady where the first oil well was drilled in Malaysia in August 1910. The near-empty indoor gallery contained a lot of information related to the Oil and Gas Industry which we took our time to digest given that this was quite relevant to what I am doing in Singapore.

After our museum visit, we headed for lunch at a local eatery that served aboriginal foods. This was followed by a visit to a Malay kampung by the waterfront in the afternoon. In the evening, we decided to go for a western meal at the Bonzer Restaurant where the Kingwood Boutique Hotel is located. Unfortunately, the sharing platter tasted bland and the seafood items did not seem fresh in our opinion. Instead, we had better luck at the seafood restaurant opposite our hotel where the big-headed prawns was worth the extra calories we gained that evening.

Overall, Miri is a quiet town where life goes on an unhurried pace. For busy city dwellers like us, this is an ideal place to wind down and enjoy the sights and smells that the town has to offer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.298s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 44; dbt: 0.2337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb