Aphrodisiacs and Monkeys


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Kuching
June 15th 2006
Published: June 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday was a long travelling day: boat trip from Pulau Mabul to Semporna, then a mini-bus ride to Tawau airport followed by a flight to Kota Kinabalu and finally a flight to Kuching. We had a few hours in Kota Kinabalu and because Sean wasn't feeling well we killed time at the shopping malls. We had our heavy bags with us so I "borrowed" a supermarket trolley to cart our bags around the mall.

Today we went to Bako National Park in the morning. Our guide meticulously pointed out all the plants that were especially good at providing aphrodisiacal qualities - for both men and women. She was quite obsessive about the whole thing. The local press here quotes a report that Malaysian men have sex, on average, 3.6 times a month. Perhaps that's why she was so obsessive the whole aphrodisiac thing?

We were there for the monkeys; so it was a thrill to walk on the pristine magroves of Bako and see the proboscis monkeys. We were also able to get really close to the more common macaques.

In the afternoon we went to Semenggoh Wildlife Reserve where we had really close encounters with orangutans. Russell will update with lots more pics.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb