Hanging out with our cousins


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Kuching
November 24th 2008
Published: November 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I'm afraid this is another entry that is about a week behind so apologies for the lack of detail folks.
After a crappy flight from Peninsular Malaysia during which Gina and Debbie got fined for carrying excess luggage (the majority of which was made up of various insect repellents which we had overdone for our trip into Taman Negara) we booked into the Singhhasana Lodge - a fantastic little backpackers place with heigth of luxury - a hot shower!!
Unfortunately, the hostel was probably one of the most interesting things that I can report about Kuching as there is not really much to do there other than visit the Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre. So there we went, cameras fully charged, ready to catch a glimpse of our distant ancestors (although for some of us, not so distant - remember a certain missing link in Newquay, Trudie?!) but the Orangutans did not want to play ball and despite the ranger waving bunches of bananas and shouting their names, it was no cigar.
Not having much to do due to the fact that we had exhausted all the places of interest to visit (ie, Fort Marguerita - a run down old fort named after some old colonial fellow's wife; the "aquarium" - bit like a tropical fish shop with the added attraction of some poor old croc living in a cage in about a centimetre of water and the Sarawak Museum - school trip heaven) we decided to pay another visit to the Orangutans to see if we could get any joy a second time round. Lo and behold, no sooner had we paid our entrance fee than we stumbled across a mother and baby, who then proceeded to swing down the tree on to the ground to pick up some bananas for herself and her baby. How cute!!! The excitement of the hot shower almost paled into insignificance . . .almost!
At everyone's recommendation we paid a visit to Bako National Park (hence all the mozzy spray), staying in what can only be described as a bit of a flea pit (we know because we got the bites to prove it!) Did a trek through the jungle and landed up on a beach which was none too pretty, but hardy maids that we are we decided to take a dip in the unappealing South China sea, even though it looked like a clay quarry because we couldn't see a thing in the sea - which was a good job really as we were later informed that there were lil nasties like stingray in there.
Loads of wildlife spotted at Bako though, including a viper, a bearded pig, the backside of a monkey and lots of insects . . just like another Saturday night in Union St then.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

SNV32160SNV32160
SNV32160

Ooh matron!
SNV32182SNV32182
SNV32182

Yet another monkey
SNV32185SNV32185
SNV32185

Deadly viper - 30 seconds from our chalet!
SNV32209SNV32209
SNV32209

Bearded pig outside our door
SNV32255SNV32255
SNV32255

So uncanny!
SNV32284SNV32284
SNV32284

Star fish
Sibuan IslandSibuan Island
Sibuan Island

AKA sunburn island
Longhouse Mabul IslandLonghouse Mabul Island
Longhouse Mabul Island

To say I was not overawed with the accommodation is an understatement!
SNV32315SNV32315
SNV32315

Bec just realised she had to share a bed with several species of bedbug!


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb