Another boat trip!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Kuching
July 29th 2008
Published: July 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had been told that Baka National Park was a good place to go, so yesterday we left at some unearthly hour to find the bus stop. (Not an easy thing in Kuching as the buses leave from different places and are run by different firms) On the way we managed to book up our Long House trip and then dashed for the yellow bus number 2. Just drawing out of the central area in India Street was our bus which stopped for us on the roundabout and we were off! (Can you imagine a British bus doing that?) By the way - a health warning, always travel on Kuching buses with a relaxed jaw - they are true bone rattlers and you can be in peril of biting your tongue!!

The end of the run was at a small jetty from where a small boat, heavily laden I might add with a rather large passenger, took us up the river and across the estuary to the National Park jetty. It is a heavily wooded area which looked as if it were natural and not replanted and is populated by monkeys and bearded pigs - yes bearded ones. (The photo will come later when I use my laptop.) They are weird! The monkeys are pests and will steal your food as you put it down on the table, but one of the men is armed with a catapult to deter them!

We put out luggage in storage and walked to Kecil beach. Walked being a euphemism for puffed and panted and sweated freely, along the pathways. They were very interesting - sometimes boardwalks, tree roots, sandstone and limestone paths. There were vicious palm trees in amongst all the other plants so you had to be careful which branch to grab as help to get up the steep bits. And there were pitcher plants - lots of them! Little ones on the ground, huge ones that grew on vines and hung above us - they were lovely! I have never been a fan of them, but now I can begin to appreciate their attraction.

The beach was a beautiful cove rather like some of the Cornish ones, only with exotic palms and ferns growing abundantly around. The sea was warm - wonderful! The sun had a very distinct corona around it - none of us knew what that meant but I will look it up. The walk back seemed long and rather more arduous, but I am sure it was down to tiredness. We finished the day with a night walk along the board walk, fireflies and glow worms were around but not many of them.

This morning we walked to another beach, again it was lovely, lots of lizards and some very orange fungi on the trees. Then one of the lovely blue butterflies landed on my arm and delicately sucked up the sweat from my skin - nice to know you can help!!

Advertisement



29th July 2008

Those little suckers
It's good to hear you are keeping butterflies alive. Lucky thangs; both of you.
29th July 2008

I would like to have seen the blue butterfly :) I bet the beach is stunning.

Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb