Kuching (March 2008)


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Kuching
April 22nd 2008
Published: May 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Kuching from KK - the hostel we'd booked 'Singasanga' was really lovely, the staff are super friendly, the place is decorated so nicely and they have a really cool rooftop bar where we ate/drank lots of vodka watermelon on the first night.

We spent the first couple of days exploring the city . Kuching is a really pretty city, very laid back with a waterfront promenade full of places to eat, drink and shop. We stayed in the old town just opposite the river - it has a lot more character and charm than the newer, shopping mall area. We had some really great food in Kuching, there's a really wide variety of Asian food available and we ate some really good Japanese, Chinese (very different from the food we actually had in China!), Indian (made me miss India a little less!) and middle eastern food (reminding us of Pai).

We had a couple of good nights out at Picadilly bar where we met a lot of really nice Malays. The owner Fred was really sweet and took us out for some great seafood and insisted we drank lots of vodka at his bar....it was a public holiday that night so his bar was packed full of locals partying.

We spent a day kayaking in the rainforest which was a real highlight. The river was pretty calm witha few small rapids which were fun. To be honest I don't think either of us would have coped with much more, we weren't exactly naturals at the beginning! The real highlight though was the scenery. All around us was rainforest and jungle and we kayaked from the river into the jungle to a small waterfall which was gorgeous. We had a nice lunch on a little sandbank, taking in the spectacular views, Borneo is beautiful, so peaceful and tranquil. Lou was the laziest kayaker ever!! I had to do all the work as the photos show - and she reckoned her arms were aching the next day!! Whatever!!

We spent two days at Bako National Park with Hannah and Anders which was a lot of fun. The park is an island not far from Kuching, which we travelled to by bus and boat. The views from the boat as you approach the island were pretty amazing. Our 100 metre walk from the boat to the beach was interesting - the ocean was boiling, similar to a hot spring so we ended up running screaming to the beach!

We stayed in some cabins at the park. It was really funny because the monkeys there, despite being wild are really used to humans and have no qualms about pinching your food, drinks, bag - anything they can get their hands on, while you watch in disbelief! So you have to make sure your room is always locked and eat your food in the cafe very quickly.

On the first afternoon we did a great trail through the jungle to a gorgeous little beach where we enjoyed some sun. We saw some monkeys on this trail which were really cute.

On our second day we got up early, at 6am, to start a few trails. The weather wasn't as great this day, it kept raining so the trails weren't quite as good. We did a long hike to a waterfall which was really pretty - enclosed in a lovely jungle/forest area. After we headed onto another beach which like the previous day's was stunning. The whole island, like all of Borneo is beautiful, definitely one of my favourite places so far. We chilled and munched on the beach for a while with Hannah and Anders and then took a boat ride back to camp.

Borneo was so great, much better than I imagined so although we missed out on India this has been a great replacement.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Preparing for the big day...Preparing for the big day...
Preparing for the big day...

I'm happy at this point, I had no idea how lazy Lou was going to be!
Me working hardMe working hard
Me working hard

At this point, Lou's sitting behind me having a sunbathe
A shell Lou gave meA shell Lou gave me
A shell Lou gave me

Aaah how romantic


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb