Traditional Long House


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Kuching
October 19th 2005
Published: October 31st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Today we visited a Longhouse. About 2 hours out of Kkuching and in the Jungle. The guide that we had was not real good with English but it turns out his family comes from the tribe that owns the longhouse.

It was a very interesting tour as we got to see some traditional Malay culture. The guide told us about the conflicts that his tribe had with other tribes (years ago) and how they used to keep the skulls of their enemies for trophies. We witnessed the making of some traditional musical instruments and sat down with a family to have lunch.

On the way home the guide invited us into his modern home - his grandchildren were very interested to see white people in their house.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Our GuideOur Guide
Our Guide

A very friendly fellow who was more then willing to show us around


1st November 2005

Hi there jsut a few insights. The tribe you mentioned is not actually "malay" of malaysia. They're called Iban, former headhunters feared by people who wanted to dislodge them from their settlements in the past. Technically they are malays yes but ithe more accurate term is "proto malays", tehy are more close related to aborigines of Taiwan and mountainhilll of the philipines. usually classified as Austronesian/malayo polynesian in general terms.. same malay stock in mostly south east asua region.. the proper malay or core malay of penisula malaysia is usually of related to Riau Malay in Sumatera.. where the national language is based on. nationlitywise they are all malaysian! ;)

Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0207s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb