Island wildlife at Bako National Park


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Bako National Park
July 15th 2009
Published: July 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Macaque on the grassMacaque on the grassMacaque on the grass

Near the landing point

River ride


We are better prepared this time. We have shoes for the walk and thongs for the beaches. We have sunscreen and bug repellent ready. It's an easy boat ride along the river to the national park. We wave as we pass a couple of local motor boats. A fisherman waves back.

There are lots of fishing nets hanging up and cane fish traps in the water. Locals are washing dishes in the river and moving goods to market. Islands loom up from the mist in the distance. After a half-hour on the water we dock at the pier.

On the trails


Dad registers our route plan at the Park Ranger's office. Our target is Telok Pandan Besar. That translates to "big Pandan beach". We start off with an easy walk over the mangroves on a boardwalk. Some hermit crabs scuttle across the mud. Benji points out thousands of mangrove roots poking up through the mud. There is no natural shade here. So, we rest at a hut.

Monkeys in the treetops


Now the climb begins. The path is lined with huge boulders and mossy rocks. The forest is thick here. Vines tangle around trees. Colourful butterflies glide through the undergrowth. We hear something crashing around in the trees. We scan the jungle for monkeys. Benji sees the first one. Then I spot another one. There is a small group of proboscis monkeys climbing from branch to branch.

Hilltop to beach


The trees thin out on top of the ridge and the sun beats down on us again. The clay path has a thin top layer of sand that makes walking easier. Timber ladders help us to get down the steepest parts. Finally, the trees part and we reach our objective. It is a clifftop overlooking a beautiful ocean beach.

Monkeys thick on the ground


We return along the trails to the ranger's hut. Hermit crabs are struggling along the grassy edges of the track. A group of macaque monkeys walk playfully across the grass. A baby scampers after its mum. One monkey prefers to walk along the trail path - it seems to be heading off on a jungle trek.

Return at low tide


It is low tide. Crabs are on the move. We roll up our pants as the waves splash around us. We wade far
Distant islandDistant islandDistant island

Seen from the boat
out to meet the boatman for the return trip. We link up with a couple of "hitch-hikers" from England to share the cost. We float idly in the shallows. The engine roars to life and we're off. Our new friends had stayed overnight at the park. They tell us of meeting vipers and grass snakes. Dad had offered us an ice cream prize for spotting a snake, but it was not claimed. Shucks!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Mangrove boardwalkMangrove boardwalk
Mangrove boardwalk

Brothers in arms
Safety firstSafety first
Safety first

Ready for a dunking
Fisherman wavingFisherman waving
Fisherman waving

Traffic on Sarawak River
Misty peaksMisty peaks
Misty peaks

A distant view
Hermit crabHermit crab
Hermit crab

Beside the trail
Rocky pathRocky path
Rocky path

Shady jungle trail
Looking for monkeysLooking for monkeys
Looking for monkeys

Can you spot one?
Name that tailName that tail
Name that tail

Proboscis monkey up a tree
Resting at the topResting at the top
Resting at the top

After a steep climb
Reaching our objectiveReaching our objective
Reaching our objective

Lookout at Big Pandan Beach
Baby MacaqueBaby Macaque
Baby Macaque

Running after mum
Walking the trailsWalking the trails
Walking the trails

On all fours


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb