Day 6 - The Journey from Mabul to Sepilok


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah
August 5th 2011
Published: August 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Jungle Lodge

Our Jungle resort: http://www.paganakandii.com/Home.html

Additional maps: Untitled

Day 6 was a reletively easy day in terms of exerting oneself. We didn't have a lot to do till the boat left the rig at 1.30pm, so we took the oppurtunity to have a lie in, pack and head down to deck at about 11. There Daniel sorted out the photos into their respective folders, chatted with a few divers and attempted to update the blog on the rig's unruly wifi. I on the other hand did what I like to do best... read another book*

It got to 12 and we had checked out and were eating lunch on the rig, waiting for the boat, which, was only 5 minutes late. Off to Semporna we went on the boat, the local boys laughing at the white people the entire hour's journey. From there it was the minibus to Tawau airport to catch the flight to Sandakan. Only the minibus took forever. And ever. And ever. The obligatory 2 hours before the flight sailed past, as did 90 minutes. Once 60 minutes had been breached even Daniel started to get a little on edge but, thankfully, the lorry we had been stuck behind for half of the journey took an unexpected right and we could get back up to speed. I guess even in other countries, there are some little reminders that somethings just do not change. Thankfully, we were just about on time to check in and managed to get through the rigourous (I lie) security checks before waiting for the plane. And what a plane it was!

According to Daniel it was a turboprop. It was a dinky little thing with wings. I've seen moths bigger. Still, the flight was stressfree, once we'd stuffed our bags into the minute compartments, and 40 minutes later were were at Sandakan.

From there it was a quick taxi to the jungle lodge where we would spend the next 2 nights: Panganakan Dii. It was a lovely resort with a vivacious lady manager, who took our order for dinner in a few hours time and kept trying to ply us with more beer. I'm sure most men out there can relate to such hospitality.

We headed to our lodge to unwind for a bit before dinner (the bathroom was outside: needless to say Moth city at night) and we relaxed wondered what the strange noise in the room was. It turned out to be the lizards, of which there were many in the vicinity but, eventually, you got so used to their calls that you missed hearing them when you left the jungle.

Later we headed back to the main hut to tuck into our ordered food. Dan had Barracuda which he seemed to thoroughly enjoy and we both had a few beers each. It was at this point that day turned into night however and I was petrified due to the numerous flying things in the air. I survived, just.

*Whilst she read, I enjoyed the views out across the sea, over Mabul Island on the southern side of the rig and across to mainland Borneo to the north and west. Seeing the faint outlines of trees on the tops of edges of the horizon, I began getting excited for the jungle part of the holiday. After we had eaten lunch, finished checking out, I said goodbye to the dive masters who had looked after us very, very well over the previous few days and watched them get lowered down into the water on the lift, showing some early morning arrivals the wonders of their house rig; a small reminder that, to us, this was a once in a lifetime type of holiday - to go diving at a place that took even Jacques Cousteau's breath away - whilst to the people in the area, it was just another day at work, showing pasty westerners the same old aquatic life - day in, day out.

Would I trade my job for theirs?

Right now, on a whim?

Of course I would!

I doubt it'd be a well thought out position but when the diving is this good, the locals this friendly and everything else is just so different to life back home, who wouldn't consider it?


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



10th August 2011

I'd be terrified right with you!
I'm not big into the bugs at night, either...

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb