Jungles of Borneo


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah
July 10th 2009
Published: July 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Toddler on the looseToddler on the looseToddler on the loose

Four on the floor

Question 1: Borneo is the world’s third largest island. Why does it have a relatively small population?
Arrange the following answers in order of importance.


(A) It is so wet that large areas are flooded for much of the year.
(B) Much of the island is covered by dense rainforests.
(C) There is a greater concentration of poisonous snakes per square kilometre than anywhere else in the world.
(D) Rugged terrain has limited road construction.
(E) Fear of headhunters kept many people from settling there early on.

Scroll down to find the answer



Welcome to Sapi Island


The natives are fierce. Mean and nasty. They aren't carrying poison darts. But they look ready to lunge, scratch and bite at any moment. Instead, they just stare at us. They roll around in the mud, and then saunter off into the jungle. Gone!

They were just a group of monitor lizards. These "dragons" are about a metre long and have a nasty bite. There are so many types of bacteria in their mouths that an infection would be serious.

Jungle trek


We set off on a jungle expedition wearing shorts and thongs. Big mistake? Our feet are slipping all over the place. Dad is leading us up the jungle path. This is called a "challenge trail". It sure is challenging. There are tree roots and dirt patches everywhere. And it is steep! Seriously steep. At least there are plenty of seats to rest on along the way. And it is shady - there is no fiery sun beating down on us. So, we eventually make it to the highest lookout. In fact, we manage to walk around the entire island. We only pass three people on all of the
Welcoming committee on SapiWelcoming committee on SapiWelcoming committee on Sapi

Monitor lizards in the mud
trails. Plus another 300 tourists on the main beach. Obviously, tourists swim - they don't walk. Some snorkel to look at the coral and reef fish. Dad put on a mask and snorkel. But he only saw one fish and white coral. We see lots more fish from the jetty. Easy!

Orang-utan sanctuary


We have an appointment with the rangers at Rasa Ria Nature Reserve. We drive an hour from the capital city to Tuaran. Orang-utans without parents are rescued and sent here. They are so cute and cuddly - like young Rohan. Carers change nappies for baby orang-utans. Often, the animals have "best mates" that they cuddle like their missing mothers. The keepers nurture the orphans back to good health.

They help the animals learn how to find food and survive in the wild. When they are big and strong enough, the young orang-utans are moved to the Sepilok Rehabilitation Centre in Sandakan. Finally, they are set free in the jungle.

Rasa Ria Nature Reserve is a good-sized chunk of rainforest with plants and hills that the animals love. It is a conservation effort run jointly by the Sabah State Wildlife Department and Shangri-La Hotels.
Starting a jungle trekStarting a jungle trekStarting a jungle trek

Steep climb on Sapi


We watch a multimedia presentation and talk by the ranger. Then, we climb a hill to the main feeding area. There are five orang-utan "toddlers" currently on the loose in the rainforest. We spot one, then another. We see most of the animals climbing trees.

They show off their skills - gripping branches with their feet as well as their hands. They clamber around on all four limbs. An especially cute one rolls around on the ground just a couple of metres away.

Finally, we walk back downhill to search for other animals.

Forest Garden


We meet a skink lizard sunning itself on a log. Then a sudden movement catches my eye, It is a squirrel darting around the trees. Hmm...are they natives here? There is a whole family of squirrels enjoying the leafy garden.

There are several nature walks with signposts around the rainforest reserve. Mum and dad want to stroll along the "Honeymoon Trail". Us kids say "No way". We demand ice creams. Parents say "No way". Not this time. So, we move on.

Answer 1 (Population limitations in correct order): B, D, E, A, C
(B) Thick vegetation is a major barrier. However, large parts of rainforest have been cleared.
(D) There are plenty of mountains. So, transport networks are hard to build. Boats have always been important. The inland rivers serve as highways for moving people and supplies.
(E) Head-hunters were a minor problem for early settlers. But definitely NOT a selling point. Headhunting stopped many years ago. Nowadays, blowguns and skulls are a tourist feature.
(A) The rainfall is indeed high. Floods happen. Many houses are built on stilts to avoid flooding in the wet season.
(C) Around Borneo, poisonous snakes are more common in the sea than on land. There are more dangerous creatures in other countries. Australia has the ten most venomous snakes on Earth.




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Rest hutRest hut
Rest hut

Near the top of the trail
Monkey boyMonkey boy
Monkey boy

Or is it Tarzan Boy?
Another rest stop Another rest stop
Another rest stop

Just a bit further...
Exhausted at the top Exhausted at the top
Exhausted at the top

A real challenge
Two tightrope walkersTwo tightrope walkers
Two tightrope walkers

Soon to link up
Fruit for lunchFruit for lunch
Fruit for lunch

Tastes good
Forest GardenForest Garden
Forest Garden

Squirrels scamper on a sign
Lizard on a logLizard on a log
Lizard on a log

Skink in the sun
Urban jungle in KKUrban jungle in KK
Urban jungle in KK

Animal sculptures on a wall
Pet lizard?Pet lizard?
Pet lizard?

Have a cuddle?


12th July 2009

Lounging Lizards
Any chance of bringing a Dragon back home to Australia for me Zac ? I need a new pet ;)
12th July 2009

Pet dragon
We have picked out a dragon especially for you, Pat. See the extra lizard photo added today. Package sent C.O.D. Watch out when you open it ;-)

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0798s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb