We Dive at Five!!!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah
February 8th 2007
Published: February 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

And at every other time of the day with the Borneo Divers Mabul Resort, where we have been staying for the past few nights. The resort is incredible ... to give you an idea, we have not worn footwear, except for our diving fins, since we have arrived. We literally walk around the small Mabul island that the resort is located on to the dive shop, boat, our chalet style room, the beach, the pool, or to the dining area, which is the best damn grub we have had all trip (yes, it has gotten better with time; but mainly because this time its buffet three meals a day, and you work up a big appetite doing the amount of diving we have been doing).

Its been absolutely amazing scuba diving, especially at Sipidan Island, an island that you cannot stay overnight on anymore because it is protected by the government 24/7 (there are actually military boats that circle the island and our stationed there to prevent any wrongful harm to the island). Within 45 minutes of leaving Mabul Island, we are in the water at Sipidian and experiencing the best scuba diving that we have ever done, which we never thought would be possible to beat our diving in Cozumel! We have averaged 3-4 dives per day since our arrival on Tuesday. The highlights are definitely the white tip reef sharks (we saw a "school" of 6-8 at one time circling around and one swam right in between the two of us yesterday). The sea turtles are amazing to swim beside and are seen often (2-4 per dive), some of which are huge! Moray eels, thousands of fish (some of which are in schools that must be in the thousands themselves), and beautiful corals and many, many other sea creatures big and small are everywhere to be seen. Diving here is totally sensory overload for the senses ... you don't know where to look next and as soon as you look around you see something new and interesting. Jon has been on two night dives where he has seen entirely different sea life than during the day including sea snakes, Spanish dancers (no, not the topless kind), and a moray eel that likely would eat him for dinner.

The only frustrating part for Jon was them not having his size of fins or boots to dive, so he has been through three different set of fins and finally decided to strap on a pair of size 12 boots (glad they were ripped to shit beforehand or they would have never stretched enough to fit -- and they are snug at best). Guess they just don't grow people as big as we do back home, but then again, who are we kidding ... Jon has the same problem in Canada so why not here!

We both had the best massage we have ever experienced before in our lives, Jon yesterday, Laura tonight! There was no happy ending, but the talented woman worked Jon's muscles like she was beating down a rented mule, working up quite the sweat and then at the end exclaiming, "You so hard to do ... so big ... and muscular!" He was all proud until she added the last two words and then he realized she was just referring to him as being a big meathead. Ahhh well, it was still one helluva massage.

Well, we are both getting anxious to get back to the room, so we'll provide another update likely when we are done our resorting. Next stop is Semporna, where we will be transferred to Tawau (pronounced like bow-wow we were corrected by a local today), and then hopping another cheap like borscht Air Asia flight to Kota Kinabalu (KK), the Sabah's state capital, where we will be arranging a climb of Mount Kinabalu with any luck and partaking in some Chinese New Year celebrations (yes, we have actually got an invite to some party already from someone Jon has been talking to over e-mail months prior to our trip who lives in KK). Looking forward to sipping the sake and breaking out the reverse worm!

Hope all is well in Edmonton and abroad for all our friends and relatives!

Love,

Jon and Laura!

Advertisement



9th February 2007

No muff...
too tough....
11th February 2007

following your trip, so we can plan our own!
We have read every day of your wonderful blog so far because we are planning a very similar trip for August. We were wondering how you made all the arrangments for the river boats, 4X4s and other transportation between sites in advance? Also, how did you choose which places to go? We will keep checking the blog, or you can email us at Mweiss@skidmore.edu Thanks
16th February 2007

Early Happy Chinese New Year!
Awesome trip so far Bacon and Eggs! Sounds like you guys are having a blast. Can't wait til you get back home and you can share more of your amazing adventures along with your photos!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb