Rain, rain, and more rain


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Sandakan
April 13th 2009
Published: April 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Her Happy FaceHer Happy FaceHer Happy Face

Cara was super excited to be out at 6:30 in the morning. Really, she wouldn't shut up about it.
Day 6 Sunday, January 18, 2009

We got up at the butt crack of dawn to prepare for our 6:30 a.m. cruise. The clouds were heavy and opened up soon after our cruise began. I was wearing a poncho which helped keep me relatively dry, but Kim and Cara were soaked to the bone. Due to the heavy downpour there weren’t many critters out and about. I did manage to snap a hazy shot of an eagle and, of course, there were a few monkeys jumping around like, well, monkeys.

After our wet and fruitless morning ride we returned to the B&B to dry off and munch down a simple but hot breakfast of French toast and pancakes. (aw, no butter or syrup!) We crawled back into bed for about two and half hours then got back up just in time for lunch. I loved eating out on that open air veranda by the water. Eating lunch was exhausting, so we crawled back into bed for another two hours. Honestly, it was so peaceful there and the intermittent rain made it perfect for sleeping, napping, snoozing, and other dozing type activities.

We managed to emerge from our slumber for a four o’clock cruise. This proved to be a much more successful venture. We saw plenty of macaques and proboscis monkeys and a couple of monitor lizards. There was a pair of gorgeous rare White Crested Hornbills. And the highlight of the trip: As we drifted up a small tributary we saw another wild orangutan! This one was much closer and we were able to watch her build her nest for the night. Amazing.

That night we had dinner again with the British Skeezy G and his girltoy. We were supposed to go out for a night cruise to see crocodiles but the skies opened up once more to unleash the heaviest rain I have ever seen in my life. So we hung out in the dining pavilion and, as huge bats flew overhead, we listened to the Brit tell horribly inappropriate bigoted stories which I will not repeat here. Needless to say, I heard terms that I didn’t know existed.

That night I fell into a deep sleep, as though I hadn’t spent the entire day either napping or sitting in a boat. It was wonderful.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Kim!Kim!
Kim!

Not in front of the adorable boat captain!


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb