The mountain looms ahead


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Mount Kinabalu
January 8th 2007
Published: January 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The 4x4 rideThe 4x4 rideThe 4x4 ride

from lt to rt: Mellinda, Michelle, Travis, Rachel, Clare
Sun 7th
Lay intill 10 then went and bought some last min supplies- warm gloves for the mountain and choc bars for energy. At 1pm we laoded our bags onto the bus and drove for an hour then changed to 4x4s for a very bumpy journey further into the hillside to KiauNulu. Where we were welcomed by a dance show put on by 12 twelve year olds. It was very cute and reminded me of country danceing perfmances at school. There were accompanied by gongs simmilar to the ones I took Kingfishers to play last year.
At 5pm we climbed 10 min up the mountain side (now 1000mtrs up) for dinner at our guide's (Pingi) fathers house. This was followed by rice wine where you get 2 fingers of rice wine to down and then tip the cup upside down over your head and if there is a drip you have to drink another 2 fingers- yes mine dripped. Rice wine tastes like very strong wine. Then we had to introduce ourselves.
A bit later the locals came to join us- they had been drinking all day (sunday tradition) and practaced there drunk english on us and us trying to learn a few words of Malay. We all had a sing song with 3 guitars and drums made out of an empty bucket and 2 spoons in a bottle. The drum kit was so impresive- there'll be a video coming.

Mon 8th
Went back up the steep muddy hill to have breakfast of rice, noodles and fruit. The we went for a little walk further up the hill another 10min and then back down. We passed Pingi's house and could by walking sticks for the climb.
At 11 we got back in the 4x4s for the journey to Mt Kinabalu National park H.Q. Had lunch and then checked into posh rooms- unfortunatly the electricity was off (something being fixed) so we couldn't have hot showers untill later.
Before dinner we had a meeting about the climb and what warm clothes to bring. It was cloudy, rainy and misty and fairly cold at the bottom of the mountain let alone the top!! At the meeting I found out that we don't have to go up the mountain as a group so I am happier knowing I can dawdle at the back. Also most of the group have opted for the extended longer walk- I think they are mad!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0739s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb