A day of culture at Mari Mari.


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
May 22nd 2011
Published: May 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Night marketNight marketNight market

Totally wierd fish for sale last night at the market - any ideas what it is?
Had a great afternoon at Mari Mari culture village today - Mac was elected "chief" for our tour group and had to be greeted by the village chief in addition to being the first person to try out certain tasks, which included cooking with bamboo, dancing (a joy to watch as I know he has two left feet!), blowing a blowpipe into a coconut target (he succeeded, which meant we didn't lose our heads as this particular activity was at the home of the headhunting tribe!), tasting rice wine, and several other activities.

The village comprised five different tribes and their homes and the trip involved experiencing their traditions, so pretty interactive. A real pleasure to witness, even though quite a touristy thing to do for us - it was very insightful.

We met an Aussie couple today and had a great laugh with them.

So far I'd award Kota Kinabalu the award for most courteous drivers I've ever known, they knock spots of Kiwis, Brits and Hong Kongians! Cars actually slow down/stop for pedestrians. And the people here are amazingly friendly, always smiling and polite. This place has a great vibe to it and that's down to
Strange veggiesStrange veggiesStrange veggies

Again I don't know what it is but love the shape and texture.........
the people. Young, old, male, female - everyone seems to want to say hello,but without hassling you. There's no pressure from retailers either, it's so laid back and easy for the visitor.

OK, we've an early start tomorrow so here goes with some photos to finish up. Bye for now.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

A bit fishyA bit fishy
A bit fishy

Another night market shot!
Tattooing at  Mari MariTattooing at  Mari Mari
Tattooing at Mari Mari

It's OK mum, this is only a temporary one!
Caz and the blowpipeCaz and the blowpipe
Caz and the blowpipe

I failed miserably!


24th May 2011

I think the weird fish is what we called ikan buntal in Sabah, and that strange veggies are kacang botor aka winged bean / Goa bean.
24th May 2011

Thank you, that's good to know! Do you know what the fish tastes like?

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb