Sizzling and sweating in sunny Sabah!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
May 21st 2011
Published: May 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

The final day in Hong Kong was started with the usual breakfast - third time different but still great! Then we made our way to Stanley by shuttle and bus, a pleasant journey once out of the city, via Repulse Bay.

We met another English couple on the bus, from Warrington and Middlesborough - great to hear a Lancashire accent again!

Strolled through the market, lots of art, had pleasant enough food at a Thai/Chinese place. All toosoon we had to leave to get back to the hotel, collect the bags and get to the airport, all in all a multituide of transportation methods today!

After a 3-hour flight with Air Asia we had a smooth landing in Kota Kinabalu, capital city of Sabah on the Malaysian part of Borneo, the world's third largest island. We arrived at about 10.45 p.m and the heat met us as the plane door opened - hot, hot, hot! Average temp here 32 degrees, humidity between 85 and 95%. Getting through the airport was starightforward, also easy to grab a taxi to downtown and check into the first hotel that looked OK - although not the first room we viewed, I wasn't up to sharing with a cockroach!

Room 2 was fine, so popped out for a cold beer and to buy some water before hitting the sack. The room was actually fine, the buffet breakfast next morning also OK.

However, we decided to look for something a bit nicer in the daylight, so after breakfast took a short walk and checked into a more conveniently located hotel, close to the night market and Filipini market. We've also booked a couple of tours for the next two days.

Lunch cost 6 MYR, just over a pound (NZ$2) - nasi lemak (rice, sauce, peanuts, small fish, egg and cucumber) for two, samosas, water and coffee. It's food heaven here!

We walked around again most of the afternoon, just to get our bearings and see what's on offer. Here you're wilting the moment you step outside, a shower is useless in this heat!

Now it's just poured down for about 2 mins then stopped and we're in the room (Silence of the lambs on movie channel) cooling down before heading out to eat at the night market - this is what we love about Asia! Spicy food, huge variety,
Tree at StanleyTree at StanleyTree at Stanley

The roots fascinate me!
low cost and high taste!






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb