Walking on the moon with altitude sickness.


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
May 7th 2007
Published: May 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Borneo!



Borneo is sooo amazing! If anyone gets the chance to go there, then go there! We had a ball and managed to do some real adventure stuff!

Mt Kinabalu



We had to wait about a week in Kota Kinabalu (Sabah province's capital) to climb Mt Kinabalu- the massive mountain towering over the city. You do the trek over two days, staying in a half-way house near the top so you can get up for sunrise at the summit. Its pretty cool the way you start off in hot, humid rainforest and end up crawling up a freezing cold rock landscape! It really does feel like you're on the moon! The mountain's just over 4000m high so there's not plants or anything and the air gets pretty thin! Everyone felt a bit sick even by the time they got to the half-way house so it was even harder to get up at 2am to do the rest! Standing at the top was just amazing though- you've got 360 panoramic views of the rainforest and watch the clouds crawl over them before you! But not before seeing the sun turn the top of the clouds red! The climb wasn't actually too tough- but coming down had both of us limping by the end!
Next time we'll have to take on Gunung Jaya- an even bigger mountain in Papua that's in the middle of the rainforest but still gets snow on top!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0673s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb