Onwards to Penang Island


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang
January 25th 2016
Published: January 26th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 24 January
Blog entries seem to have duplicated themselves and photos struggling to appear, can only assume internet not strong enough here in the HighLands of Malaysia. Anyway, we are up, packed and awaiting 8.00am VIP coach from Brinchang to Butterworth, bound for Penang, via ferry, a road trip of over four hours, winding round and down through the mountains, via the city of Ipoh. The weather glorious and an easy comfortable journey, for the princely sum of £10 we had 2 front seat tickets. Breakfast stop half way - we sampled freshly made local dish of Nasi Goreng, delicious, and cost £2.50 for both as a take away, eaten on the coach, along the way. Hauled our back packs about 2kms from bus drop off to ferry terminal. As the Hindu population are celebrating the festival of Thaipusam, the women and children are flocking across to Penang Island, wearing their best robes of beautiful coloured silk dresses and gold jewellery. Stunning to see. We took the free hop on-hop off bus to Komtar Bus Station, then walked the 400metres to our hotel. First impressions at this time, were not great but we went out, expecting to discover this great city of culture, displaying the former Colonial European Empire, it was mostly closed, mainly due to the aforesaid festival, and fairly dull and very dingy . To be truthful it has none of the attractions of other Cities of Culture, the Historic buildings are interspersed with low grade buildings and High rise Hotels and Offices, most of the Western cafes and Bars are closed and the price of alcohol relevant to the region is very expensive. We had been told that George Town was one of the Jewels of Asia but the current authorities seem to have lost the plot, third world, hygiene, Over inflated alcohol prices and no real community areas, So George Town for us was a real disappointment. Maybe tomorrow will reveal better opportunities.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.651s; Tpl: 0.06s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb