Seafood!!!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang
July 23rd 2006
Published: August 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The directors for the DALAT ESL camp 2006, Jason & Chun Selvanayagam took Megan & I out for seafood for our last meal in Penang. One thing that you must realize is that people from all around the world fly to Penang... just to eat. Being locals in the area, they had just the place in mind for us. We drove from the camp which is on the north east part of Penang island (you can find the campus on Google Earth) all the way past the airport, down to the southern part of the island. This part of Penang is not the hopping business area that the northern part of the island is. It took about an hour to get to an itty bitty side road that boasted an faded sign that you wouldn't be able to see even if you were looking for it. "Seafood" the sign stated quietly. Down this forlorn street the atmosphere changed dramatically, it was difficult even to park the car because the place is so popular. It looked almost as though we had been the first white folk down there because we got a lot of people staring at us. We walked past tables weighted down with discarded fish shells/scales/bones. We sat down on chairs that sank into the soft beach sand, the fishermen still at work behind us. We sucked little creatures out of twisted shells loaded with sauce, cracked open large red crabs & tasted the unaltered crab meat, munched fried prawns, gave our jaws a work out on some squid & spooned in tender meat from a whole fish. For someone who doesn't eat much seafood, it was amazing how much I enjoyed myself. Soon our table was starting to look much like the other surrounding tables...loaded with the refuse. On the way home we had to promise not to spoil the secret & tell anyone where to find the spot, but don't worry, I couldn't find my way back through all those streets if my life depended on it so the secret is safe with me.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



11th August 2006

yummy!!!!!!
Sounds wonderful! You have me drooling!
13th August 2006

Great blog!
Thanks for the descriptive updates Anna - it helps me picture a little bit about what your life is like in Malaysia! Where are you headed now? Laurie

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0761s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb