Penang


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang
February 21st 2009
Published: March 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Penang - Teluk BaruPenang - Teluk BaruPenang - Teluk Baru

At the rainforest watering hole and trailhead.
George Town

Food in George Town is amazing, the indian food is spectacular. We found a cool little indian cafe across from the post office (by the bus stops) served the best. The town is full of old buildings with many restuarants and quest houses. Little India was so lively with music, food stalls, tailored clothing and filled with delightful smells of incents/oil. Geoff and I couldn't resist buying some of the floral and fruity incents. The incents came in handy, it helped me detour the annoying mosqitos. China town was small but full of nice chinese food stalls and dim sum. Although the dim sum doesn't beat Hong Kong. Valentines day in Malaysia was pretty tame but there were still locals selling flowers and came up to Geoff to see if he wanted to buy flowers for me. His manly answer was "we have no where to put it!" Alright I will give him that one cause I would have to carry it and I really do not need to carry more than my bag. We couldn't really find large night markets or food markets but George Town had huge malls with everything you need. The heart warming gift for Valentines day was we stayed in a Guest House called Love Lane Inn. AAAWWW! Our hearts were so full of love we forgot our key deposite.

Batu Ferringhi

Went and stayed along the beach, it's not the best beach, lots of garbage and a little smelly. The beach is dotted with guesthouses and resturants, many water sport equipment are available for rent even ATVs were for hire and tourists rip down with ATV creating tracks along the sandy beach. The scenery is still really soothing and relaxing. I really liked the grilled fish with a sauce of cinnamon and paprika so much that we had it both nights in Batu Ferringhi. Well it was relaxing but we picked a guest house right beside the mosque so our morning came really early. Night markets here were right along the busy highway with lots of shopping available, cd's, fake purses, jewelry, you name it - they are selling it. I do have to give Geoff some credit, even though I didn't get flowers on Valentines Day we purchased some really nice silver jewelery. AAWW!!

Teluk Bahang

We hopped to this small town to check out the fruit farm and butterfly farm. We managed to make it to both places but did not explore the exhibitions. At the fruit farm we enjoyed a large plate of mixed fruit. The fruit farm was similar set up to the Okanagan orchards. Unfortunately when we went, it was not the high season for sweet juicy fruit. The watermelon, pineapple, papaya and pink Gauva was still really sweet and tasty. Skipped the butterfly farm and went to a forest park with many locals enjoying a cool swim in a creek, we couldn't resist, had to dip our feet in. We still saw many colourful butterflies around the park. Geoff saw huge nasty spiders, yeah we didn't walk very far away from the paved path. These two places were a very long walk from the bus stop, after waiting for a while with some cold teas, with some traveller's luck, we hopped on a minivan to take us up the hill around 7km to the fruit farm, we found out the minivan doesn't come often after asking the driver. Our options were to walk back down or hope for a friendly local to drive us down. With our friendly and innocent smiles we waved down a car and hitched a ride down to the bus stop. We always have interesting conversations when we hitch a ride with a local. Malay english is not the easiest to pick up but she was still really nice and mentioned travelling was her favorite. Our transportation luck continued and caught the bus right away to Ferringhi. Teluk Bahang is a sleepy town with not too many attractions but it was nice walking around and greeted by friendly locals. It was interesting to see the crowd of people that gathered at the local mosque for prayer in a town that looked like it was practically empty.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Penang - Teluk BaruPenang - Teluk Baru
Penang - Teluk Baru

Tropical Fruit Farm
Penang - Bukit FerenghiPenang - Bukit Ferenghi
Penang - Bukit Ferenghi

These Raccoon eye'd monkeys were hanging out in a big tree by our hotel. Cool!
Penang - GeorgetownPenang - Georgetown
Penang - Georgetown

Temple flower
Penang - GeorgetownPenang - Georgetown
Penang - Georgetown

Temple Lanterns
Penang - GeorgetownPenang - Georgetown
Penang - Georgetown

Little India flower displays


Tot: 0.298s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1951s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb