Food!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » Batu Ferringhi
March 23rd 2007
Published: March 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Process of making Roti Canai!Process of making Roti Canai!Process of making Roti Canai!

The cook gave us permission to photograph him streching out the dough. Afterwards everyone was looking at the picture and laughing. :)
Food costs here are really cheap. You can find a great meal in KL Malaysia for about 1.00 u.s. really nice. Some of our favorite dishes are dumpling soup which sells for about 4 rm (app. 1.5 us) fish ball soup 3 rm (1.00 us) and chicken sautee's skewers 5 rm for six (app.1.75 us) all really yummy and cheap.

Our friend Khim from Bellingham who we came to visit said that it is cheaper to eat out than buy the food and cook it yourself! In many places this is true, the cost of food is very inexpensive and very good to eat.

We generally go to the small markets and vendors that are in open shops. These are called "restauran" and they are open room restaurants that either have buffet style food or cook the meal in the kitchen. These places cost a little more, but are still cheap. Other places are basically a hot dog stand with the whole set up hooked onto a type of gas for power and they cook it right there on the mini stove. Very good too. We like the hot dog stand style the best because you can see
Great Roti Canai!Great Roti Canai!Great Roti Canai!

Only 3RM (1.00 US) with pulled coffee...
them cook it right there.

We haven't had a problem with the food at all as far as getting sick goes. We drink plenty of bottled water which also is about 35 cents us for a average size bottle and 75 cents for the largest ones. For a great drink try pull tea or pull coffee. The cost is less than one dollar and it is fun to watch them make it. Taste is good too.

We go by the rules of eating cooked foods and fruits with a peel. No ice and no buffets. The buffet food, you never know how long it has been sitting out there. And this rule is actually hard to do, because the local people mostly eat the buffet too and even if you go to a place that has a kitchen, they might have some buffet food back there. You can tell because the food comes out in like 1 minute. Best rule of thumb is to eat somewhere you can see them cook it, unless you don't mind eating food that has been sitting around.

One time I drank fresh soya bean drink. Sooo yummy. The best beer here is Tiger. It is way expensive and a six pack costs 29 rm (ringghit) approx 10 dollars us! It's good, but not that good!!

The crappiest beer is - Carlsberg - Andy says it is not so crappy, but yes, it is crappy. It costs less but not by much. We still drink it though because it is the cheapest one.

Also, food is everywhere in KL. You can easily find a vendor or restauran.

Here in Penang Island we hear the Seafood is great!! So far so good and we have been here for one day.

In general we hear that Penang has the best food, and yes, it is wonderful.

stay tuned,

Lara and Andy

Advertisement



27th March 2007

it is not a pancake
Actually, it is paratha or roti canai as the locals called it (FYI roti is bread in Malay). Of course, it is Indian in origin and you can find it all over Malaysia and also Singapore

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb