High Tea


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » Batu Ferringhi
May 23rd 2018
Saved: May 5th 2020
Edit Blog Post

How many of you have been to high tea? With the royal wedding coming up, many traditions, including high tea are becoming popular. I have attended only a few, the best of which was at the Rasa Sayang* in Batu Ferringhi, Penang, Malaysia. But I have observed the importance of high tea at Wimbledon. Even when the tennis match is exciting and important, patrons of the All England Club leave their seats for high tea in their special, member's only clubhouse.



First, let me say, it is not what you expect it to be. And second, it is even better than I ever expected!



Per Stacy Leaska: Now that Meghan Markle, an American, is set to walk down the aisle with Prince Harry, an arguably extra-British Brit, it’s perhaps time to start blending just a little bit of both cultures into our daily lives. The best place for Americans to start might be joining the well-known U.K. tradition of high tea. “The drinking of tea not only became a social event for the upper classes, it altered the time and manner in which they took tea,” U.K. site Afternoon Tea explains. “Afternoon Tea became the bridge between meals because many wouldn't eat their evening meal until maybe 8pm. As such, Afternoon Tea became a 'mini meal' in itself.”



The site further explained that the tradition of drinking tea in the afternoon soon trickled down to the working masses, only on a slightly different schedule.






What is High Tea?


The drinking of tea not only became a social event for the upper classes, it altered the time and manner in which they took tea. Afternoon Tea became the bridge between meals because many wouldn't eat their evening meal until maybe 8pm. As such, Afternoon Tea became a 'mini meal' in itself.

This was all well and good for the upper classes, but the working classes ran to a different schedule and a different budget. Tea was still quite expensive at the time and the working classes could not afford to waste it on anything other than necessities. A wearied factory worker wouldn't arrive home until six in the evening, and when he did, he was famished! Thus, in the industrial areas of the UK (northern England and southern Scotland), the working classes evening meal evolved: high tea. (from the afternoontea.co.uk website)






Here is a list of places closer to home:





• Davis, CA: Tea List
• San Francisco, CA: The Rotunda (the best locally)
• Atlanta, GA: Tipple & Rose Tea Parlor and Apothecary
• Stony Brook, NY: Robinson's Tea Room
• Las Vegas, NV: Tea Lounge
• Plymouth, MI: Sweet Afton Tea Room
• Gold Hill, OR: The Teapot on Wheels
• Chicago, IL: Palm Court
• Miami FL: Cauley Square Tea Room
• Granite, MD: The Granite Rose Tea Parlour
• San Antonio, TX: Madhatters Tea House & Cafe
• Oviedo, FL: The Lemon Lily Tea Room & Bakery
• Georgetown, CO: Dusty Rose Tea Room
• Denver, CO: House of Commons
• Phoenix, AZ: Tipsy Tea Party
• Rockville Centre, NY: Chat Noir
• Richardson, TX: Bangkok At Beltline
• Salem, MA: Jolie Tea Company
• Toms River, NJ: 600 Main Bed & Breakfast and Victorian Tea Room
• Oak Park, IL: Serenitea Cafe and Boutique
• Scottsdale, AZ: Lobby Tea Court at the Phoenician
• Annapolis, MD: Reynolds Tavern
• Anoka, MN: The Mad Hatter
• 24 Ann Arbor, MI: TeaHaus
• Philadelphia, PA: Mary Cassatt Tea Room




The Rotunda, a "remnant" of the old City of Paris department store, now the home of Nieman Marcus, is the closest place to me. Or Davis, CA. Take my word for it, go to the Rotunda, it will take you back to the old days of San Francisco, a place we call, "The City".



# = The Rasa is the best hotel we have ever stayed at, and we were fortunate to do it twice! My personal preference is for champagne with sushi, and hot appetizers.

COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.1588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb