Bat Diarrhoea - down and dirty in the caves of Taman Negara


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Taman Negara National Park
June 20th 2007
Published: June 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

For wildlife spotting this isn't the place to go. No doubt there are plenty of big names deep in the jungle mix but from Kuala Tahan there is little realistic chance of seeing much beyond leeches and bats. If they are your thing then you're in for a real treat.

The dorm here in this ramshackle riverside village is arguably the best accommodation I have had in Malaysia. That says more about the poor standards in this country than anything else. Note to the Malaysian ministry of tourism - get some decent guest houses erected and STOP CUTTING DOWN EVERY TREE IN THE COUNTRY. Driving through central peninsula Malaysia you pass countless lorries bearing massive trees. The once dark green country side is now riddled with massive orange scars. Where they have replanted anything it is always palm olive trees - no use for wildlife and not particularly attractive.

However there are some fun activities to do from Kuala Tahan. A canopy walk is probably only really fun if you're with someone who is scared of heights. If you're with someone who is scared of leeches too then you're in for great entertainment.

I have just been on the caving trip which is certainly not for the claustrophobic. Some parts of it were very tight. had I known I would be crawling on all fours through an underground stream in the pitch black with bats depositing all over us, then at the very least I would have left my passport behind! We did spot a blue coral snake camping out in a hole waiting to have a delicious meal of live bat.

The night safari through the Palm olive plantations unearthed yet more snakes including a python. various other little jungle cats and a slow loris were caught in the flashlight of our guide.

All in all this was a decent stop but I believe there are better entry points for really getting down to some decent animal spotting.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0949s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb