Chilling in malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Pulau Tioman
April 20th 2009
Published: April 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kuala Lumpur was so different to any other city i'd visited in Asia, or different to any other city i'd been too in my life! Its so modern and cosmopolitan but the people are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo friendly and I have no qualms in saying they are by far the most pleasant helpful kind nationality I have ever come across.

Arriving into Kuala Lumpur was a bit of a shock after the basic conditions of laos. We arrived at the Reggae guesthouse which was brand spanking new with air conditioning and really clean with hot showers we thought it was amazing! The first day there we chilled out and had a look around the chinese market around the corner and even went to mcdonalds (which was amazing as it was the first fast food joint i'd been to since Ireland and loved the $1 cornetto mcflurrys! yum) and went back to the hostel where Jenna arrived. Jenna was the girl i spent my first two days in Bangkok with and it was great to see her again, although i think we frightened the boys sitting in the hostel common area with all our hugging and squealing!

Over the next few days we went on random adventures around the city to visit the mosque, petronas twin towers and various shopping centers.

The petronas twin towers was interesting and it was free to go to the viewing deck but you had to get their early in the morning to get a ticket for an allocated time. When it was our time to go we had to sit through a 15 minute 3D film which was like a brain washing tool telling us how great petronas (a global oil/petrol firm) was and how good it was for the community and environement. We got up to the viewing deck and it had an amazing view of the whole city of Kuala Lumpur as you can see from the photos.

There wasn't much of a social scene in KL but this suited us after spending a week drinking in excess in Laos and the 3 of us had a bit of a detox before heading to the island of Tioman for 3 nights. There was 12 hours travelling by various buses and boats to get to the island which was amazingly beautiful. We were on the boat to the island as the sun was setting which was amazing!

We booked into a twin room and pushed the bed together and slept sideways in it so the 3 of us could fit, but the 1st room we were in had an ant infestation and the plumbing wasn't working properly. It was an experience trying to get asleep in it but we managed. The first full day the weather was all cloudy and murky and there was nothing to do so the girls had a few drinks but i was still ill so I abstained. Luckily the next day was fabulous weather but we all managed to get a lil bit sunburned, that night we had our last proper meal and drinks and lots of girly giggles sitting in a beach side hut of a bar drinking cheap beer (4 cans for $10 malaysian) about €3! it was lots of fun before getting up at the crack of dawn the next morning to get the boat back to the mainland and then bus it to Singapore. We said goodbye to Jenna at the bus station but hopefully our paths will cross again!

I would love to be able to say I got to go and do all the tourist sites in Singapore but after traveling for 10 hours when we got there we ended up just getting the train to the airport where we spent the night sleeping on the floor outside the bar. But as you can see from the photos its a nice airport! The following morning I flew to Perth and left caz for a few days as she flew to Bangkok before meeting me in Perth!


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb